Opportunity – Gender Integration Specialist
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we have built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The USAID Ingobyi Activity is a five-year cooperative agreement to improve the quality of reproductive, Maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH) and malaria services, in a sustainable manner with the goal of reducing neonatal, child, and maternal mortality in Rwanda. The Ingobyi Activity builds upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments in the health sector to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans. Ingobyi works to improve the availability, quality, and utilization of RMNCH and malaria services with resilience and sustainability.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Gender Integration Specialist provides technical expertise and strategic program development and management assistance for cross-cutting gender initiatives under the USAID Ingobyi Activity in Rwanda. This will include, but not be limited to, the prevention of and response to sexual and gender-based violence (GBV). S/he will work collaboratively with the project team to incorporate gender considerations into the program design, implementation, and M&E and learning plans, following USAID and national standard guidelines, to improve the quality and use of health services. S/he will develop and integrate gender interventions and tools into project activities, implementing them across all technical areas of the program including MNCH and Malaria, and will advocate for the widespread adoption of gender-related best practices. The Gender Integration Specialist will report to the Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director. Consults routinely with HQ-based Senior Team Leader for Gender Equality and Health.
- Oversee the analysis and integration of gender considerations into project workplans and collaborative learning and adapting (CLA) activities across Maternal Health, Neonatal and Child Health, and Malaria (MNCH/M) technical areas.
- Design, conduct and analyze the results of a gender assessment of various aspects of the program, including providers, clients, network partners, in areas such as access to MNCH/M services, training needs, and opportunities, and reporting.
- Develop a set of recommendations based on the results of the gender analysis that explores ways to address the health needs of both males and females.
- Identify gender indicators and analyze data to document improvements in gender integration across all project interventions.
- Review and/or adapt provider clinical training curricula and materials to ensure integration of gender analysis recommendations, and to ensure female participation on an equal level with males.
- Review and adapt training materials related to GBV, and guide or provide GBV training and follow up for master trainers.
- Review and/or adapt supportive supervision and other quality assurance tools and job aids to ensure that gender considerations are incorporated.
- Ensure that gender-related project activities have clear, measurable indicators that are included in the project monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Identify and manage project needs for external STTA on gender from IntraHealth International headquarters, or learning opportunities with other programs locally and in the region.
- Contribute to regular reporting and documentation of best practices in gender integration for the project
- A Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Public Health, or related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience working in the field/s of RMNCH/M with a specific focus on gender-related issues.
- Significant knowledge of the Rwandan health context at all levels, including gender equality issues related to health services.
- Experience providing technical advice and capacity building in programs targeting women and youth.
- Experience interpreting qualitative and quantitative data to inform effective programming.
- Experience as a trainer with a strong track record of implementing training and mentoring strategies and programs.
- Experience working with international organizations and donors in the health sector.
- Experience with gender and youth analysis and integration.
- Capacity to design and manage results-oriented programs and to bring conceptual innovations in the technical support provided as an expert.
- establish/hed capacity to work as a team with various technical, clinical, and administrative personnel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes, and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources, and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management: Knowledge of processes, tools, and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization's exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better, or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions, or initiatives within assigned roles that result in improvement of IntraHealth's performance and meeting objectives, results, and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research, and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth's success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment that supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and consultancies.
Learn more about IntraHealth Careers @ http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @ http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Please apply by November 30, 2020