HEAD OF FINANCE
(Job Ref: SOS CV RWANDA 01/2021)
Position: Head of Finance
Type of contract: Permanent
Working location: Kigali/ National Office
Direct supervisor position: National Director, SOS Children’s Villages Rwanda
This position supervises the following direct reports:
- Chief Accountant,
- Grant Accountant
SOS Children's Villages Rwanda is part of a Federation of more than 120 National Associations (NA), that make up SOS Children’s Villages International. The latter is the world’s largest non-governmental organization focused on supporting children without parental care and families at risk. SOS Children Villages Rwanda was established in 1979 and currently operates from four Programme Locations: Kigali, Nyamagabe, Gicumbi, and Kayonza.
The Head of Finance is primarily responsible for leading the strategic function of Finance within the National Association (NA). The role supports the SOS CV Rwanda mission and goals through effectively aligned Finance strategy, policy, procedure, and systems. This is a senior management position; we are therefore seeking a vibrant and results oriented individual to take up this important position. The head of finance has overall policy and management responsibility for the finance and accounting function for the Association.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership and planning
- Sets the strategic plans, objectives, and priorities of the Finance Department, through close consultation with the National Director and Regional staff.
- Lead the development of the National Association annual budgets ensuring that organisational objectives are financially supported as economically as possible.
- Propose and implement new financial and administrative procedures aimed at strengthening internal controls and systems.
- Provides technical support to the National director as well as Location Managers in ensuring all strategic plans are economically viable.
Treasury, Liquidity & Risk Management
- Takes a lead role in liquidity planning and quality check of the Organization liquidity plans.
- Prepare risk assessments, coordinate, and monitor mitigation measures.
- Takes a lead role in managing bank relations, Bank accounts, and their management & currency risks.
- Ensures the Risk register is updated Annually
- Preparation and presentation of quarterly financial statements to the MA Board.
- Ensures that all board finance related resolutions are followed through and implemented.
- Partcipates in the audit and finance board subcommittee.
- Takes lead in organizing for annual external financial audits for the Organization as well as specific projects and the implementation of action plans.
- Take a lead role in facilitating internal audits and implementation of action plans.
- Takes a lead role in the preparation of annual financial statements in preparation for the annual audit
Donor Contract Management & Reporting
- Supports programs and Institutional funding functions in the formulation of sound proposals and budgets.
- Takes a lead role in monitoring of Institutional grants, reporting & ensuring compliance with donor financial requirements.
- Lead the preparation of monthly (and other) financial reports / statements to the Regional Office/Donors/partners.
- Participates in assemment of sub grantees, partners, and CBO’s.
- Ensure tracking of restricted funds.
HR Processes Support
- Supports HR function in HR planning and budgeting.
- Ensures accounting and programme staff receive adequate, Capacity development, to build their effectiveness on finance and compliance matters.
- Responsible for ensuring set internal controls and guidelines are in line with various levels of management.
- Takes a lead role in the recruitment and orientation of finance staff
- Review and Development of new finance & administrative policies in line with international internal & external guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with statutory obligations as well as seeking opportunities for tax relief, exemptions, or payments by government Ensures tax applications/payments, as well as statutory payments are timely and followed up.
- Review monthly income and expenditure statements (and other key performance indicators) and advises programme managers as well as the National Director on needed action.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required
- A BA Degree in accounting or finance, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance and completed professional qualification such as CA, ACCA, or CIMA.
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant experience, at least four (4) years in (Finance) senior position and grants management.
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems and database programs
- Must be able to function effectively in a complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Essential: English (fluent in oral and written communication)
- Desirable: Local/native language (French, Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili)
- Good Management and writing skills
- Strong analytic and strategic thinking skills
- Knowledge of and experience in structured financing and international fundraising as well as business planning and management skills is an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and short deadlines.
- Matured candidate with good analytical skills.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your detailed application (including application letter, CV, and copies of education qualification) and an employment application form well filled in. (Available at the National Office).
NB: This position is open for Rwanda nationals only and the applications from qualified women are strongly encouraged.
Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications should be submitted not later than 26 April 2021 at the latest by 17:00 hours Kigali time to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org Late applications will not be accepted.
Done, at Kigali on 25th March 2021
Jean Bosco Kwizera