Head of Simulation Center
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: Head of Simulation Center
Reports to: Dean of Health Sciences
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
The Simulation Center head oversees the operations of the UGHE simulation center, including its proper equipping, stocking, and maintenance. The head also works in consultation with UGHE faculty to plan and prepare simulation coursework aligned with the basic science and clinical curricula of UGHE’s medical program.
- Set up the simulation center at UGHE by planning and procuring furnishings, equipment, consumables, and supplies to ensure excellent functionality;
- Project and manage the simulation center budget to ensure allocation of adequate resources and prudent utilization of resources;
- Develop and implement procurement plans for the simulation center in line with budgetary allocation to ensure the department has adequate resources to effectively carry out its duties;
- Collaborate with faculty and teaching staff to schedule simulation sessions to ensure efficient allocation of time for practical sessions;
- Participate in preparation of practical teaching materials as well as instructional materials for students to ensure an excellent simulation learning experience;
- Perform practical demonstrations with the students to ensure that they understand the material and acquire necessary simulation/clinical skills;
- Set up the simulation center for specific cases and skills practice, and ensure it is returned to excellent working condition after the sessions;
- Develop partnerships with local clinical institutions as supported by the institution;
- Examine and evaluate students to confirm that learning has actually taken place; and
- Recruit, screen, coordinate hiring, and supervise simulation assistants, as needed.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in simulation instruction, or at least 2 years of clinical work with at least 1 year of experience in simulation;
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in nursing or a closely related field;
- Master’s degree preferred;
- Experience in creative methods of teaching and learning;
- Deep knowledge of basic clinical scenarios and emergency procedures;
- Fluency in English (Kinyarwanda fluency desired);
- Budget management;
- Ability to multitask and pay attention to detail and quality;
- Results oriented with adherence to deliverables and deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team in a complex, fast-paced environment; and,
- Demonstrated ability to be well organized.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in the required job functions; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (4) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, references, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.