Kigali, Rwanda | www.ampersand.solar
Health and Safety Officer
Are you ready to make a real difference? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto-taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is looking for a competent Health and Safety Officer to help in creating the safest working environment for Ampersand staff, clients, and the surrounding environment to all Ampersand premises including main offices, manufacturing premises, and the charging station network. The ideal candidate will develop and update policies and procedures to govern all Health and safety activities, manage a small HS committee with the main goal to establish a workplace that complies with Rwanda's national policy for OHS. The officer will also help in fostering a culture of attention to health and safety.
The role will report to the Construction, Facility & Safety manager and it will have the following responsibilities:
- Review the existing HS policies and standards and update according to the Rwanda national policy for OHS
- Support the development of new HS policies and programs
- Organize and monitor the HS training to all new employees
- Conduct risk assessments on all Ampersand premises
- Develop preventive measures based on the risk assessment findings
- Manage Ampersand HS committee and coordinate all their activities including meetings
- Work closely with the top management and provide useful advice on various safety-related issues
- Inspect premises, tools, and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity
- Oversee installation, maintenance, and disposal of wastes.
- Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker’s compensation claims
- Prepare periodic reports and provide statistical information to upper management.
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- Do you like working in safe environments
- You are a proactive problem solver
- You like creating and implementing policies
- You enjoy exercising leadership potentials in managing and a grow a small team
- You are very attentive to details
- You are looking for an entrepreneurial company that values innovation and strong execution
- You like getting things done in the right way
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual with in-depth knowledge of OHS initiation and management. You are encouraged to apply if you have the following:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Experience in manufacturing or construction environments is preferred
- Degree in either safety management, public health, or engineering
- OSHA certificate or any other relevant certificate
- In-depth knowledge of international and national policies governing OHS
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Experience in report writing and policies for HS
- High-level work ethics
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Diligent with great attention to detail
- Outstanding organizational skills
- English speaking abilities.
A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application file (CV, Academic certificate, and cover letter) all in one document via the " Apply for this job" button not later than the 27th July 2021.