WHO REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE FOR RWANDA
Tel.: (+250) 280 300 507, Mobile (+250) 78 830 78 70
P.O. Box 1324, Kigali, Rwanda
TERMS OF REFERENCE – HEALTH ECONOMIST
|Position Title:||Health Economist|
|Type of Appointment:||SSA|
|Nature of Position:||SSA|
|Effective Date:||01 September 2019|
Position Coting Start Date:
Position Costing End Date:
|31 December 2019 (Renewable),|
CCOG Level Supervisor:
First level Supervisor:
|MWINGA, Dr. Kasonde|
Second Level Supervisor:
|TUMUSIIME, Dr. Prosper|
WHO Rwanda provides technical support towards development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of health financing policies and strategic plans in line with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Universal Health Coverage (UHC) principles. WHO Rwanda is looking to recruit a short term consultant to support the Health Systems and Services (HSS) Cluster to advance the health financing and financial sustainability support to the Government of Rwanda.
To sustain the technical support to the Government of Rwanda in the areas of Health Financing, Universal Health Coverage and Community Based Health Insurance (CBHI).
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of WHO Country Representative and the day-to-day supervision of the HSS Cluster Coordinator, the SSA/HEC will have the following core tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide support and coordination of WCO support to the MOH for the development of the CBHI sustainability plan participate in the CBHI core team meetings and monitor the roadmap of the CBHI plan’s development process
- Support the coordination, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of ‘Strengthening Health Expenditure Tracking’ - PHCPI project. In particular, the consultant will ensure timely production and submission of technical and financial reports; closely monitor project activities; participate in the core team meetings as called by MOH.
In addition, the consultant will:
- Support the MOH to implement the Health Financing Strategic Plan (HFSP), mainly to develop and implement an HF annual operational plan, including:
- Support the MOH and RSSB to prepare and conduct cascade training workshops in Health Financing and UHC at decentralized level;
- Produce Information Notes on Health Financing for UHC and SDGs to enhance the awareness and role of Government authorities and Lawmakers (MPs) in health financing for UHC and SDGs;
- Support UHC monitoring activities mainly under SDG 3.8.2 monitoring of health financing performance on financial risk protection;
- Support the MOH to organize a Consultative workshop on Public Finance Management (PFM) for health at central level; and organize activities on Coaching and mentorship to health centres in Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) at decentralized levels, in view to enhance capacity in Public Finance Management (PFM) for health at all levels;
- Support the MOH to organize consultative workshop between MOH, Districts authorities, Service providers, and Health insurance) for advocacy on the increase in health insurance coverage targeting the uninsured; Support documentation of recommendations from the consultative workshop to inform MOH ministerial instructions on universal health insurance coverage targeting the uninsured population;
- Advocate for the constitution of a pool of local resource people trained in the OHT; and support cost of one health sub-sector strategic plans and one district health strategic plan with technical support from WHO and the pool of trained people;
- Participate in the Core team periodic meetings on planning, implementation, and monitoring of the HFSP implementation.
- Collect data on and produce WCO annual budget and expenditure for reporting into HRTT
- Provide technical support to the MOH activities on health governance, national policy, and SDGs domestication towards UHC including:
- Participate in the Planning, Health Financing and Health Information Technical Working Group meetings on the Health Sector Strategic Plan (HSSP) 4 strategies implementation and monitoring, in line with the health-related SDGs domestication; Support the MOH for the District Health Strategic Plans review in line with the HSSP4; Support the coordination of the activities and partnerships strengthening for TWGs (Planning, M&E and Health Financing; the CBHI coordination group; the HRTT core team; the DPG group; and the SDGs task force.
- Active engagement in the Core teams for strategic activities including Preparation and Conduct of the Joint Health Sector Review; Preparation and Conduct of MOH/DPs Field Visits; as well as Core teams formed for any other activities of the above TWG.
- Support the MOH and RSSB in strengthening the CBHI management systems including:
- Support documentation of CBHI reforms, achievements, and challenges
- Participate in CBHI Coordination Group meetings (CCG); and
- Follow up on WHO activities in the CBHI Joint Action Plan
- Progress reports of the different workstreams activities for the development of the financial sustainability plan for CBHI
- Mid-term technical and financial report of the ‘Strengthening Health Expenditure Tracking’ - PHCPI project
- Approved concept note of the cascade training on Health Financing and UHC at the decentralized level and Final training report
- Information Notes on Health Financing for UHC and SDGs to enhance the awareness and role of Government authorities and Lawmakers (MPs) in health financing for UHC and SDGs
- Approved concept note of the consultative workshop on PFM for health at central level; Final report on coaching and mentorship activities organized at health centres in IFMIS
- Approved concept note of the advocacy workshop for the increase of health insurance coverage in Rwanda; Final report on recommendations from the workshop to inform MOH ministerial instructions on UHC targeting the uninsured population
- WHO expenditure and budget data uploaded in the HRTT
Essential: Master’s degree in Health Economics, Public Health or related area;
Desirable: Ph.D. in health economics, Public Health or related area;
Essential: Demonstrable experience of more than 5 years with progressively increasing responsibility related to health financing policies, strategies, plans, costing, cost analysis, conducting efficiency studies, equity analysis, monitoring and evaluation of health programmes; experience reflecting a strong understanding of health systems, Sustainable Development Goals, and Universal Health Coverage principles;
Desirable: Demonstrable experience of at least 2 years in health financing, resource tracking, Performance Based Financing, financial protection; Community Based Health Insurance (CBHI) management systems in Rwanda; Rwandan health system and key actors within the system.
Use of Language skills:
Essential: Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda are required
Desirable: Working knowledge of French is an added advantage
- Demonstrated team work, excellent communication & writing skills
- Demonstrated advanced level skills in various computer packages including word processing, data management and costing of health services
- Highly motivated, resourceful, results-driven and interested in working within a fast-paced organization;
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, negotiation and advocacy skills.
Period of assignment:
From 01st September 2019 to 31st December 2019
How to apply:
All applications are required to pass through the following links:
Applicants are also requested to visit the mentioned link for deadline information.
The selected candidates should be contacted to provide certified documents.