University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: Hospitality Assistant
Reports to: Campus Operations Manager
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
This position is responsible for a range of activities in preparation for the January campus opening, as well as overseeing the subsequent day-to-day hospitality coordination on all items related to accommodations, special events plus assisting the administration team in the welcoming of new residents and guests. Furthermore, the Hospitality Assistant is the main liaison with UGHE’s selected outsourced dining firm and cleaning firm.
Preparing for January Campus Opening:
- Lead the process in selecting and beginning work with UGHE’s outsourced cleaning firm (ie creating the request for proposal, advising on recommended firms in which to submit, taking part in negotiations, assisting with local hiring, determining final contract stipulations, etc.);
- Support in developing the appropriate systems and support cleaning firm manager to train their employees leading up to campus opening, ensuring that they are well informed of all systems and prepared to perform all duties;
- Support in developing technical Hospitality Manual and accompanying Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) laying out how all hospitality related functions are to operate on the campus (ie responding to resident needs in the housing, receiving visitors, etc.);
- Work closely with the Facilities team to conduct testing the functionality of the equipment installed in accommodation facilities to ensure they are in good working order after handover from the construction firm but before campus occupancy (i.e. ensuring doors and windows open correctly, water pressure is sufficient, etc.);
- Work closely with the Procurement and Logistics team to ensure that the campus accommodations have the full supply of goods and services needed to commence operations before occupancy; assist their team in the receipt of all goods and distribution to final location (i.e. sufficient bedding, curtains, bathroom accessories, etc.);
- Coordinate the installations of all furniture, fixtures and equipment throughout all the housing units;
- Work with Procurement and Logistics team to maximize the local sourcing of goods and services required for Campus hospitality services; and,
- Support the Administration team in developing housing assignment schedule for the first year of operation (understanding that it may change as program dates change over time).
Following the Campus Opening:
- Act as the main liaison between UGHE operations team, the outsourced cleaning firm as well as campus residents when it comes to all housing needs;
- Support Administration team to manage all housing assignments and master room occupancy schedule in coordination with the operations and academic program teams;
- Support in developing a cleaning schedule, in liaison with the outsourced cleaning firm supervisor and the Campus Operations Manager;
- Conduct regular checks to ensure that all rooms and units are fully prepared at least 24 hours in advance of the residents arrival;
- Create a checklists to guide the oversight for each housing unit (ie cleaning checklist, supply checklist, maintenance checklist, etc.)
- Support the Campus Operations team in carrying out specific operations duties as needed (ie if a resident informs you that they have no hot water, work with the plumber to ensure it is fixed efficiently and then inform the resident once it is complete.)
- Keep a daily track record of all requests, complaints, actions taken and so on coming into the hospitality team;
- Monitor all logged issues over time and suggest ways for improvement during bimonthly meetings with the Campus Operations Manager;
- Support the Campus Operations Manager in operating the Butaro Campus and hospitality related functions each day in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner;
- Coordinate with other Campus Operations team to ensure the hospitality team is supporting each resident and guest in the most courtesy away;
- Work with Campus leaders to set monthly hospitality priorities and determine key tasks to be done;
- Liaise with the cleaning firm manager on a daily basis to ensure outsourced staff are performing adequately and work schedules are harmonious;
- Support in the planning and coordination of special events, academic program needs, etc.; and,
- Collaborate with the Campus Operations Manager and Director Campus Operations to continually develop and improve Campus hospitality systems to better meet the needs of the residents.
Procurement & Logistics
Work closely with the Procurement and Logistics team to ensure all Campus accommodations are fully stocked with the baseline items provided by UGHE;
- Support in developing and managing the procurement systems for the Campus to minimizes stock outs and waste;
- Provide feedback on the selection as well as local and international procurement of hospitality related consumables, equipment, and imported goods in relation to this program;
Ensure that UGHE’s hospitality procurement is sourced from the Butaro District as much as possible;
- Support the Administration team by acting as another friendly face of UGHE welcoming guests and community members as needed, striving to build and maintain excellent relationships with our neighbors in the cell, sector, and district;
- Mindful of UGHE’s commitment to the Butaro community, work with the cleaning firm to continually develop initiatives to hire as many local employees as possible;
- Support the Administration team in provide tours of the Campus if needed;
- Minimum 2-3 years work experience in hospitality or other related fields.
- Experience coordinating hospitality in a university, NGO or hotel industry setting.
- Knowledge and experience in higher education or global health is mandatory; knowledge and experience in both is desired.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s mission and program objectives persuasively.
- Ability to serve as an external representative to government officials, UGHE partners, and donors.
- Ability to live in Butaro full time (including weekends) required.
- English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required; French knowledge preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage complex and dynamic projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations.
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism.
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.