University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: Hospitality Assistant
Reports to: Hospitality Coordinator
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
This position is responsible for assisting in day-to-day campus hospitality and operations activities on all items related to welcoming campus visitors, tours and new residents, cleaning and dining oversight, receptionist duties, campus administration, and office organization, and more. Reporting to the Hospitality Coordinator, the Hospitality Assistant is required to live in Butaro full time including some weekends as needed.
Female residents of Butaro Sector/Burera District are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Stationed at the main reception desk, file incoming requests from residents, welcome visitors as they arrive on campus and help connect them with the appropriate contact;
- Support in liaising between UGHE hospitality team, the outsourced cleaning firm and dining firm, as well as campus residents when it comes to all campus hospitality needs;
- Assist in liaising with the cleaning firm manager on a daily basis to ensure outsourced staff are performing adequately and work schedules are harmonious - provide training and mentorship when they are not meeting expectations;
- Conduct regular checks to ensure that all rooms and units are fully prepared at least 24 hours in advance of the residents' arrival, and conduct room inventory immediately following check out;
- Partake in-unit inspections with the student services and facilities team to ensure all housing is being maintained accordingly by UGHE and its residents;
- Provide administrative and oversight support in cleaning checklist distribution for each housing unit and academic/admin building (ie cleaning checklist, supply checklist, maintenance checklist, laundry room sign up sheets, etc.);
- Follow up with the Campus Operations team in carrying out specific operations duties as needed (ie if a resident informs you that they have no hot water, work with the plumber to ensure it is fixed efficiently and then inform the resident once it is complete.);
- Assist in the recording of a daily track record of all requests, complaints, actions taken and so on coming into the hospitality team;
- Support in monitoring all logged issues over time and suggest ways for improvement during weekly meetings with the Hospitality Coordinator;
- Provide campus tours and orientation to visitors and new staff or faculty as needed;
- Assist HR in the orientation of new campus residents when it comes to life on campus such as tours, desk allocations, campus life sessions, etc.;
- Support in the planning, coordination and operational support of special events, academic program needs, etc.;
- Collaborate with the Hospitality Coordinator to continually develop and improve Campus hospitality systems to better meet the needs of the residents (including resident wide google feedback surveys);
- Support in the development of a detailed technical Hospitality Manual and accompanying Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) laying out how all hospitality related functions are to operate on the campus (ie responding to resident needs in the housing, receiving visitors, etc.);
- Participate in daily campus rounds and work closely with the Facilities team to conduct testing the functionality of the equipment installed in accommodation facilities to ensure they are in good working order after handover from the construction firm but before campus occupancy (i.e. ensuring doors and windows open correctly, water pressure is sufficient, etc.);
- As UGHE brings new housing and buildings online, oversee the increasing of contracted services as well as advise on procurement requirements;
- Fill in for general administrative needs on campus such as printing, mail receipt, and delivery, scheduling, program support, office supply ordering, and distribution, etc.
- Assist in coordinating the Butaro Campus housing assignment schedule for all staff, faculty, visiting faculty, visitors and programs, in coordination with both the operations and academic program teams;
Operations, Procurement & Logistics
- Support with campus operations tasks as needed;
- Help to ensure all Campus accommodations are fully stocked with the baseline items provided by UGHE;
- Be proactive to minimize stock-outs and waste on campus;
- Assist with the procurement needs and installations of all furniture, fixtures, and equipment throughout all the housing units as well as new housing as they are built;
- Support community relations efforts by acting as another friendly face of UGHE welcoming guests and community members as needed, attending community events, striving to build and maintain excellent relationships with our neighbors in the cell, sector, and district;
- Support campus activities by acting as a translator when needed on campus.
- Minimum 2-3 years of work experience in front desk management, hospitality, administration or other related fields.
- Experience coordinating receptionist/administration in a university, NGO or hotel industry setting highly preferred. Excellent communication, writing, and IT/computer skills; ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s mission and program objectives persuasively.
- Being a native of Burera District, specifically, Butaro Sector is an added advantage
- Ability to live in Butaro full time required (including weekend duty coverage as needed) in own provided housing.
- English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required; French knowledge also strongly
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage complex and dynamic projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations.
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism.
- Interest in social justice is strongly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications. Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.