TERMS OF REFERENCE
An Individual consultant to support AFR Research projects
Objective and Scope of the position
AFR wishes to hire an individual consultant to support AFR Research projects. The overall objective of the assignment is to support in coordinating research projects, analysis of data, drafting reports and coordinate activities around dissemination and engagement of stakeholders. AFR’s research unit aims at driving evidence-based decisions by providing stakeholders with relevant and timely research findings and insights. This will be done in line with AFR’s broader Knowledge Management and Learning strategy to ensure that evidence is translated into knowledge products that influence market actors to effectively serving low income and underserved populations.
Working closely with AFR staff and the stakeholders in the financial sector, the Consultant will contribute to the implementation of AFR’s Research & Knowledge Management Strategies and plans
The Consultant will be responsible for the following key tasks:
- Contribute to the design & implementation of AFR’s financial sector and market research activities.
- Support analytics of financial sector data eg Finscope to identify key trends that can support deeper usage of the data by financial sector stakeholders.
- Work closely with stakeholders to disseminate research reports. This includes identifying insights from the report and working with relevant teams to develop briefs, articles, blogs, etc.
- Coordinate webinars and workshops for dissemination of survey report findings.
- Participate in the analysis of data and support efforts to increase capacity in analysis of survey analysis internally at AFR and among stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities where AFR survey data sets can be used to bring broader financial sector insights as well as synergies with other existing datasets such as those hosted by the BNR and RURA.
- Contribute to AFR’s broader research and learning agenda to inform better programming.
Required professional qualifications and competencies
- Master’s degree in the social sciences with a focus on research methods, Economics, Agriculture Economics, MBA, Development studies or any relevant field;
- At least five (5) years of experience in research in areas such as finance, agriculture, gender, youth.
- Knowledge and demonstrated the use of research methods and techniques, with strong data analysis skills
- Demonstrated commitment to academic integrity and a track record of analyzing national datasets (using a range of software) to inform stakeholders;
- Record of high-quality research output on financial sector development or relevant topics demonstrable by publications in prestigious outlets including high-quality journals, policy documents, and newspapers.
- Highly numerate, with strong skills in microeconomic and statistical analysis, with expertise in statistical software (e.g. SPSS, STATA) very desirable.
- Ability to communicate simply and convincingly both verbally and in technical writing
- Excellent written and spoken English. The ability to communicate in Kinyarwanda is desirable.
Duration of the assignment
The consultant will be hired for a period of six months (July to December 2020) but can be extended based on the performance and availability of funds.
How to Apply
If your qualifications and experience match the requirements for this role, please apply through Job in Rwanda using the following link; "Apply for this job" button below by 7th July 2020.
Please attach your CV containing your e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, achievements, experience, present position, and names & addresses of three referees together with a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarizing why you consider yourself particularly well suited for the position and monthly rate. Do not attach any other documents at this point.
All applications will be selected on merit and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
For any questions regarding the application process please contact Job in Rwanda.
The position is open to professionals residing in Rwanda with the required expertise, experience, and qualifications.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.