Many East African SMEs are stuck in the “missing middle”, a financing gap for businesses who need between US 100k and 500k. iungo capital is an investment company that provides growth capital to such early stage and growing SMEs in Rwanda. iungo capital invests in value addition businesses that are cash positive and highly scalable, operating in sectors such as agri-processing or light manufacturing. iungo capital leverages the resources, networks and expertise of local business angels who are invited to co-invest on a deal by deal basis, and brings in the additionally required capital as lead investor, structured as short to mid-term mezzanine debt or quasi equity.
iungo xl is iungo capital’s dedicated technical assistance arm, making sure the necessary non-financial support is also in place for the SMEs to become socially and environmentally sustainable businesses, examples in their communities. iungo xl customizes the necessary packages based on the needs of each company; not only post-investment, but also beforehand to get the SMEs to the point of being investment ready; focusing on finance, accounting, investment planning, strategy, governance, operations, supply chain management, HR, and ESG standards.
iungo capital and iungo xl are currently looking to grow their teams with senior professionals, 1 investment manager and 1 senior business advisors respectively, all based in Kigali, Rwanda, who have a passion for being hands-on, on-site, and end-to-end involved with SMEs, to help them become investment ready, support the overall investment execution process, and/or posterior to assist them in maximizing growth, scaling operations, improving business performance and realizing their impact potential. More specifically, we are looking for professionals who can take responsibility of some of the following tasks – either on the support or investment side, or both – in line with their experience, preference and ambitions.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Problem identification and (non-)financial business needs assessment
- Research and data collection through team meetings and consultations to understand the business needs, capacity gaps, risks and projections. As often the necessary information is not readily available, (financial) data will have to be built up from scratch.
- Organize data on market trends and business competition, product or service demands, and other related topics to support critical analysis.
- Document review and analysis of information such as financial status, expenditure structure, business flows, sales statistics, operational processes and procedures, ESG standards, and other relevant data; establish respective gaps.
- Develop a report as summary of all the gathered data and facts, including logical conclusions based on valid arguments.
- Formulation of recommendations and subsequent implementation
- Recommend and implement customized options with clear milestones to address operational, performance and impact gaps, recognizing the uniqueness of each company, distinguishing between pre- and post-investment.
- Develop milestones for ESG improvement in the future and monitor the respective execution.
- Train and/or coach the business’ team responsible for implementation.
- Monitor pro-actively the progress of implementation and develop corresponding and concise progress reports.
- Investment execution:
- Screen potential businesses for investment, based on various operational, financial, and ESG criteria.
- Interact with local partners and pipeline feeder organizations.
- Conduct in-depth credit appraisal analysis based on current assets and potential future income.
- Create financial projection models for income, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Conduct profitability analysis of overall business and business units.
- Prepare investment documentations.
- Support the investment negotiation process.
- Support the deal execution process.
- Identify potental co-investing business angels
Expected background & skills
- A Master's degree in business administration, economics, finance/accounting, or engineering.
- Accounting, Auditing and Tax experience highly valued
- Management consulting or tangible investment experience; either having worked with a major accounting/consulting organization or hands-on experience with operational processes of manufacturing companies will be considered a plus to work with iungo xl.
- Intensive knowledge and understanding, preferably by experience, of some of the following business domains: operations, financial and risk management, accounting, management controls.
- Knowledge of the East African SME sector; specific understanding of the agribusinesses and/or (light) manufacturing sector in the region will be considered a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, with an entrepreneurial drive.
- Abilities to establish a mixture of empathy, trust, confidentiality and straightforwardness, paramount to help the entrepreneur to see things more clearly from a different view-point.
- Excellent feedback, interpersonal and communication skills
- Creativity and flexibility to interact with entrepreneurs to offer individualized services.
- Problem solving and strategic planning abilities; analytical skills and attention to detail; good numerical skills.
- And finally, commitment and self-motivation are key to be part of an organization that takes skin in the game. You enjoy seeing the results and impact of your work, making a difference in the environment that surrounds you.
We offer a competitive salary and a challenging job in the impact investment sector, in an international and diverse environment, with a lot of responsibilities and opportunities to influence the development of our organization, contributing to sustainable change. We aspire a joint future in the long term.
How to apply?
Are you interested? You can apply by sending your 1-page application letter and max. 2-page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying with “senior business advisor” or “investment manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; only short-listed candidates will be contacted.