Irrigation and Water Management Lecturer
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the five Enterprises including Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking an irrigation professional to join a world-class team of educators and researchers at RICA. Ideal candidates will have a passion for education with a focus on irrigation and water management, drainage, soil and water conservation engineering, and environmental physics. The successful candidate will actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills and mentoring students. Such a candidate would commit to the RICA teaching philosophy, which celebrates experiential learning that is founded in research and extends to the community.
- Teach courses in irrigation and water management, drainage, soil and water conservation engineering, and environmental physics
- The team teaches courses in introduction to agriculture and practical farming.
- Advise students and work with the student in practical farming.
- Mentor students on capstone experiences
- Champion Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles in teaching and mentoring
- Participate in relevant community extension planning and activities
- A fluent speaker of English
- M.S. in irrigation and water management, soil and water engineering, agricultural system technology, agricultural engineering, biosystems engineering or related field.
- Strong knowledge of farm irrigation systems operation and management, farm drainage systems and agricultural weather stations
- A desire to teach and mentor undergraduate students.
- Previous experience in teaching or in the agricultural industry
- Experience in active and experiential learning
- Demonstrated success in research and/or extension (e.g. presentations, publications, awards)
- Demonstrated relevant management and leadership experience
- Ph.D. preferred
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE RICA TEAM
Founding staff at RICA will be part of creating something unique in the world. While working with other world-class educators and researchers, you will transform agriculture in Rwanda and East Africa for a conservation-minded and food-secure future. RICA staff will also enjoy an internationally competitive salary commiserate with the applicant’s background, a relocation allowance, on-campus staff housing or a housing subsidy, and an on-campus meal plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following documents in English to RICA Human Resources website at https://rica.bamboohr.com/jobs/:
Please combine your resume/CV with other required documents as one PDF file before you upload it.
Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position
A resume or CV
Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained
Summary of the applicant’s teaching experiences (About 500 words)
The applicant's a possible contribution and plans on teaching at RICA (About 500 words)
List of recommenders with contact information
Application review will begin December 1, 2019, and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
Approved: November 4, 2019
Richard B. Ferguson
Vice-Chancellor, Academics, Extension, and Research