IT Network Engineer
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: IT Network Engineer
Reports to: IT Manager
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
This position is responsible for the implementation and support of network, structured cabling, and integrated technical systems in support of the Butaro Campus. The position also supports in the maintenance of ICT systems and provides technical support to the University staff members.
- Monitor network performance potential and recommend for future adjustments and changes to improve connectivity across the Campus.
- Supervise University network infrastructure - routers, switches, cabling, and other network components to ascertain optimal functionality.
- Oversee the growth of the University wireless network and provide input in scaling of the network in its growth.
- Monitor the University network for malicious or other activity that violates the University’s use policy and perform remedial actions to protect the network infrastructure.
- Assist in the planning and designing of network systems in accordance with university IT standards to ensure compliance.
- Provide, install, troubleshoot and support wired and wireless network access devices, and other structured cabling systems for inside Campus services.
- Maintain network documentation and databases for network access devices, Voice, digital signage, and security cameras systems.
- Assist with service interruptions classification, prioritization, institute of corrective action, documentation and analyse interruptions facts for future reference.
- Develop network design strategy and roadmap including core network architecture, IP, DNS/DHCP, VLAN strategy, establishment of engineering standards and best practice guides.
- Wired and Wireless LAN design and implementation, including NAC basics (802.1x)
- Implement and manage Radius based authentication with local and remote Auth sources.
- QoS with Voice and Data traversed network.
- Manage and maintain Voice over IP system utilized throughout the campus.
- Monitor and create reporting based on network activities.
- Provide network connectivity support for AV systems throughout the campus.
- Monitor and engage with ISPs on Internet bandwidth utilization.
- Implement new installations and movement of remote locations throughout Butaro Campus, this includes installation of network access devices, digital signage and security camera systems.
- Implement IT strategies and procedures that seek to guide the IT Support Service delivery model;
- Conduct security risk and vulnerability assessments for defined business applications or IT installations in defined areas to avoid system infiltration;
- Provide advice and guidance on the application and operation of elementary physical, procedural and technical security controls;
- Contribute to team effort by support implementation of the Campus IT strategy and ensuring that Campus data protection and network access policy are adhered to; and
- Promote continuity of service delivery by keeping the team informed of any potential problems and provide possible solutions.
- Successful candidates must have at least five (5) years of relevant work experience in IT network infrastructure from a higher learning institution or NGOs/non-profit organizations;
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in IT or related field from a regionally recognised institution;
- Experience supporting educational technology needs in hardware and software management in a healthcare/campus environment, including SmartBoards, document cameras, sound systems, video, projectors, etc.;
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, including setup and operational knowledge of Windows, Mac OS X;
- Experience setting up, configuring, and managing network components, including firewalls, routers, switches, point to point bridges, and wireless access points;
- Strong understanding of the OSI model, especially Layer 2/Layer 3.
- Strong understanding and experience working with Ubiquiti and Meraki hardware; and
- Strong proficiency in managing Mac OS X environment.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in healthcare delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.