About Job Vacancy:
Job title: Junior Associate
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Position type: Full time (with initial probation)
Equity Juris Chambers (EJC) is one of Rwanda’s leading law firms providing comprehensive business legal services to a range of clients. We are proud of our proven legal expertise and ability to provide advice carefully tailored to our client’s needs and expectations.
EJC’s firm grasp of the local business environment and in-depth understanding of the region's intricate socio-economic environment is significantly aided by the diverse skills, interests, and backgrounds of our attorneys. Our skilled, enthusiastic, and innovative team sets us apart from other firms. Our legal skills and commitment to integrity, excellence and hard work combined with our dedication to servicing the needs of our clients enables us to fulfill and even exceed our clients' expectations. Through the provision of legal services to clients in the commercial sector, we have developed a profound understanding of this area of law and its practical intricacies.
As part of its human resource development plans, the firm would like to recruit a junior associate attorney.
The candidate will serve as a generalist in the office with responsibilities including, among other things, routine and complex contract drafting, review and negotiation, litigation support and management, legal research support, dispute resolution, handling filings with regulatory authorities, and legal advice on regulatory policies and procedures.
The candidate will work closely with a supervising Partner, who shall assign the day-to-day duties which will involve a wide range of matters reflecting the complex and diverse commercial matters handled by EJC, including but not limited to the following:
- Analyze and help prepare and negotiate contracts, corporate organizational documents, legal opinions and other documents needed to carry out EJC’s objectives.
- Under the direction of a supervising Partner, advise clients on legal issues, as requested.
- Under the direction of a supervising Partner, research and provide information concerning legal and policy issues of concern to EJC in areas such as contracts, regulatory issues, civil procedure, and other matters.
- Assist with conducting due diligence; work with a supervising Partner on corresponding investigations as needed.
- Assist the designated Partner with pursuing alternative dispute resolution, pursuing and defending litigation, and settling outstanding matters. Assist in preparing briefs, complaints, answers, and replies, and make appearances and motions as needed. Present evidence at administrative hearings in cases of moderately complex issues, under the direction of a supervising partner.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in law recognized in Rwanda, or equivalent (a master’s degree in commercial/business law would be an added advantage).
- Diploma in legal practice recognized in Rwanda or equivalent.
- 0 - 3 years of post-qualification experience doing legal work.
- Must be a Rwandan national.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and good command of Kinyarwanda.
- Demonstrable versatility in the use of information and communication technology (MS Word, Excel, Power-point, e-mail).
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, documentation, and presentation skills.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills.
- Ability to think strategically and propose solutions.
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Multi-tasking skills.
- Must be a self-motivated person able to work with minimal supervision.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates are invited to submit their application enclosed with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, academic documents and other relevant work certificates not later than 15 August 2020 at 12 PM, to:
Subject Line: Application for Junior Associate Position
Only successful candidates will be contacted.