VACANCY – LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
ALIGHT works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people and host communities – to better survive conflicts and crisis, and to rebuild lives of dignity, health, security, and self-sufficiency. ALIGHT presently works in and with partners in seventeen countries globally. ALIGHT has consistently operated in Rwanda since the year 1994, and today has a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full-time staff, community mobilizers, and incentive workers– implementing programs in Primary Health Care, Reproductive Health, HIV and Nutrition; also Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Shelter and general Infrastructure, Livelihoods/Economic strengthening, and Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Prevention/ Protection. Our work in Rwanda currently covers all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. And we are always looking to expand and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve! ALIGHT is looking for a qualified, self-driven and committed individual to join its roster/register as Temporary Laboratory Technician (on-call), and who would be available at short notice to support health service delivery and programming at any one of the field sites (refugee camps) where ALIGHT has active health operations.
Based at the refugee campsite level, the Lab Technician is responsible for the examination of and maintenance of laboratory materials and samples ensuring accurate results for patients. He/she will liaise with the Health and HIV/AIDS teams to ensure adequate health services.
- Conduct laboratory exams according to the Rwandan Ministry of Health protocols and guidelines
- Verify and maintain all laboratory materials and equipment ensuring good condition
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times
- Record all lab results in their corresponding register
- Provide timely lab results sheets to different Health Center services
- Monitor and provide routine maintenance to ensure the hygiene of all laboratory materials and equipment
- Bring sputum of multi-resistant TB cases to National Reference Laboratory,
- Bring to “National transfusion center” samples of incompatible rhesus for Combs Test and if necessary buy and bring Gamma Globulin substance
- Ensure proper storage and maintenance of cold-chain
- Bring samples for CD4 and viral load, count and RPR to Hospital Laboratory
- Take quality control samples to District Hospital on a monthly basis
- Take blood samples, urines samples, stool, sputum according to lab exams prescriber and guideline
- Make weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- To insure infection control by respecting all precautions measures in place
- Report to HIV Program Coordinator, Head Nurse and/or the Medical Coordinator problems encountered for help
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor, or any other ALIGHT Senior Manager
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- A1 Diploma in laboratory sciences or another health-related field from a recognized university required
- 2 years’ working experience in a human laboratory in a low-resource, fast-paced setting, working with vulnerable/displaced persons
- Analytical and organizational skills/experience with health data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Health Information Systems, HIV protocols and Rwandan Ministry of Health protocols and guidelines
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Computer knowledge is an advantage
- Good oral/writing skills in Kinyarwanda and English or French
- Experience working in protracted refugee situation and/or previous experience in Rwanda
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES:
- Commitment to personally champion ALIGHT’s program vision and mission and inspire others to do the same
- Excellent strategic thinking, process management and problem-solving skills
- Must have cross-cultural and strong interpersonal skills to work with refugees and vulnerable persons.
- Ability to coordinate with other health sector staff in a diverse environment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Punctual at his/her duty station
- Confident in carrying out his/her tasks
- Respectful and willing to support others
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a remote, low-resource setting
Interested and qualified registered nurses should submit 1page Cover letter, an updated CV (maximum three pages) and names, title, and contacts of three professional referees, to include most current employer/supervisor (all in/as one document) - via email only to: RWJobs@wearealight.org with the POSITION applied for clearly indicated in the subject line. The deadline for submission of applications is April 30th, 2020. However due to urgency to update the roster, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and decisions may be taken before the indicated deadline once suitable candidates are available. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.