University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
- Set up the lab for specific procedures and demonstrations, and ensure it is returned to excellent working condition after the sessions;
- Collect samples and perform tests on biological specimen or other samples in related fields of basic sciences;
- Ensure proper storage of all chemicals, reagents and other consumables in science laboratory;
- Demonstrate the use of lab equipment and preparation of working solutions for different lab experiments;
- Conduct internal quality control and routine maintenance of science laboratory equipment to ensure that it is safe, functional, and produces accurate results;
- Collaborate with the Head of Basic Sciences Laboratory and other academic teams to schedule science lab sessions;
- Participate in the preparation of practical teaching materials as well as instructional materials for students to ensure an excellent lab learning experience;
- Perform practical demonstrations with the students to ensure that they understand the material and acquire necessary laboratory skills;
- Participate in examining and evaluating students to confirm that learning has actually taken place;
- Follow policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in daily routine of science lab work;
- Monitor the stock of consumables and reagents in the science lab on a daily basis;
- Keep the lab environment clean and safely dispose of chemicals and biohazardous waste;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in a science laboratory (in renowned public or private hospitals, clinics, institutions, university or teaching hospitals).
- Experience as a tutorial assistant/laboratory technician conducting laboratory experiments with students in medical programs desired;
- Proven track record of experience and hands-on skills in all disciplines of medical laboratory sciences including biochemistry, microbiology, hematology, immuno-hematology / serology, histopathology, physiology and anatomy;
- Bachelor's degree in Medical laboratory sciences, or a closely related field;
- Possess active license from Rwanda Allied Health Professional Council (RAHPC)
- Fluency in English (Kinyarwanda or French fluency desired);
- Ability to pay attention to quality by abiding to principles of good lab practice and ethics;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team in a complex, fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to be well organized and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to relocate to Butaro, Rwanda
Benefits of Working at UGHE
UGHE staff will be based at our campus in Butaro, Northern Rwanda. The campus is situated in a scenic area with a mild climate year-round. New, on-campus housing is available for full-time staff. UGHE also offers a competitive salary and health care benefits.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) names and contact information of two professional references who can attest to experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (4) copies of all degrees and earned as well as other professional qualifications. Please upload your cover letter, references, RAHPC license and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.
- The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
- The University launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program, the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). The Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS) program, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, our medical students will pursue a joint MBBS and MGHD degree.
- Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
- Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.