Position Name: Learning Advisor, Rwanda
At MSA, our staff build results in measurement systems for development programs, social enterprises, and impact investors; research power dynamics and their influence on market behaviors; train client staff to think more systemically about the problems they seek to address; pitch MSA’s services to new potential clients; write thought pieces; and brainstorm new approaches to old problems. Regardless of the task, our focus on disrupting the status quo demands critical engagement.
Who we want:
MSA seeks a talented professional with exceptional experience in implementing and monitoring market systems development programs to join the team in the position of Learning Advisor based in Kigali, Rwanda. This position is for a newly-awarded USAID project and confirmation of the successful candidate requires approval by USAID. The successful applicant will implement a results measurement system that captures team learning and shifts in the dynamics and relationships of the target market systems.
Reporting directly to and working alongside the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Director, the Learning Advisor will play a critical role in the project’s success. The position will be responsible for ensuring that the project captures data during innovative pilots to improve the production and consumption of animal source foods and adjusts programming as needed to align with the needs of the actors in the livestock and nutrition sectors. This position will be responsible for setting a culture for adaptive management within the team and implementing the systems that support it. The position will also lead the systemic change monitoring and ensure that project results meet a strong standard for rigor.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Articulate and monitor the theory of change of how interventions contribute to system-level changes with sound methods (e.g., results chains)
- Carry out, with support from MSA headquarters, the qualitative baseline of system-level dynamics and relationships between actors in the operating environment
- Build the processes and culture in the project to take an adaptive and predictive orientation
- Develop and apply quasi-experimental and other methodologies for short cycle testing of multiple project pilots simultaneously with appropriate statistical rigor
- Provide guidance on the design, implementation, and monitoring of innovative market development approaches adapted to the various business-to-business and consumer (urban and rural) market segments for the commodities targeted by the program
- Liaise with commercial enterprises relevant to the selected value chains, with the goal of understanding how and what kind of evidence they use to make decisions and encourage innovative adaptations of their business models
- Establish a knowledge management system that supports learning for the project partners, the project, stakeholders, and the international community.
- Detect systemic changes and oversee analyses to assess the contribution of the project.
- Serve as the chief liaison to MarketShare Associates headquarters and STTA team members
- Contribute relevant sections to all project deliverables and documents as required by project leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business, economics, agriculture, international development or related field
- Willingness and excitement to learn and apply new approaches and methodologies
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Either one of the following:
- Experience in management/strategy consulting, startups, business innovation, or impact investing; OR
- Demonstrated familiarity with market development approaches in building market opportunities for emerging enterprises
- Demonstrated experience leading or managing qualitative and quantitative technical studies, and providing feedback to consultants/field teams during all stages of assessments
- Strong English oral and written communications skills
- Strong collaboration skills (an enthusiastic team player)
- Self-motivated and responsible
- Results-oriented and innovative
- Willingness to travel to all project zones
- Experience working on USAID-funded and DFID-funded projects or other bilateral or multi-lateral funded projects, including USAID
- Deep understanding of the Rwandan private sector landscape, and of drivers of enterprise growth
- Experience engaging with, and influencing private sector stakeholders
- Excellent quantitative skills with a very good grasp of statistical methods and small-N designs
- Experience in the commercial livestock space
- Graduate degree
- Experience applying the DCED Standard
- Advanced computer literacy, including strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
Please apply as soon as possible if interested. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please send a CV and a maximum 1-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position title, “Market Systems Change Advisor, Rwanda” in the subject line of your application email.