Expression of Interest
Local consultancy for the appraisal mission for the follow on measure “Promotion of Economy and Employment in Rwanda – Eco-Emploi”
“GIZ (German Development Cooperation) is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. Its primary objectives are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. “
A. General Context of Eco-Emploi 2016 - 2019
Rwanda has maintained steady growth and macroeconomic stability for the past 15 years, between 2001 and 2015 real GDP growth averaged at about 8% per annum. However, the rate of unemployment and underemployment is high and most of those in employment still work in poorly paid positions, above all in agriculture. Although primary school attendance is comparatively high in Rwanda, the fast majority of youth leave schools hardly equipped for the labour market. A strong middle class that could provide for a solid foundation for the country’s economy does not exist.
The programme Eco-Emploi is part of the priority area “Sustainable Economic Development” of the Rwandan-German Development Cooperation and will be implemented between June 2016 and December 2019. Eco-Emploi embodies an integrated approach of technical and vocational education and training, labour market interventions and private sector development. It supports the economic sectors ICT, wood economy, tourism and creative industries [above all audio-visual business]. The economic empowerment of women and people living with disabilities are a cross-cutting effort in all activities of the programme.
Eco-Emploi’s success is mainly defined by the amount of jobs that are created though the programme’s activities.
B. Rationale of the assignment
1) Description of assignment:
The assignment comprises the support of the appraisal mission for the new programme phase of “Promotion of Economy and Employment” in Rwanda. The appraisal mission will take place between the 18th of February and 8th of March in Kigali. The objective of the mission is to gather all information necessary to draft a concept for the new project phase according to GIZ quality standards. The offer based on this concept will be submitted to the Germany Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development. Within the scope of this assignment is the preparation, participation and follow-up of the mission.
2) Process steps of the assignment:
- Preparation of the appraisal mission regarding content and logistics
- Kick-off meeting via Skype with other missions members and Eco-Emploi staff
- Participation in the appraisal mission in Kigali
- Support to the mission member regarding the drafting of documents
- Moderation of workshops
3) Reporting and cooperation:
The national consultant will be part of the appraisal team and reports to the team leader and the contact persons of GIZ Eco-Emploi.
- Inputs to mission design
- Participation in the mission (including workshops)
- Identification of suitable interview partners for the mission (in close cooperation with Eco-Emploi staff)
- Organization and logistics of the mission (scheduling, accommodation, organization of drivers etc.)
- Research and analysis of relevant literature
- Support with numbers, data, information from national statistics and policies
- Providing inputs regarding Rwandan context to the mission (economy, policies, target groups etc.)
- Input regarding private sector development (in GIZ Eco-Emploi focus sectors)
- Documentation of results of the mission, support drafting offer documents (in close cooperation with other mission members)
- Moderation of workshops
D. Timeframe of the assignment
The assignment takes place between 15.02.2019 and 15.03.2019 and comprises 16.5 working days.
E. Key characteristics of consultant
For the assignment, the following characteristics and competencies are essential:
Master degree in Economics, Business Administration or other relevant fields
- At least 5 years of experience working as a consult
- experience in development cooperation
- experiences in cooperation with GIZ
Special competencies needed for this assignment:
- Knowledge of private sector development
- Ideally economic sector knowledge in tourism, information and communication technology and/or e-Commerce
- Proven organizational skills
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda, German would be an asset
In case of questions regarding the assignment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that for a fair tender process, we only point to publicly available information.
The interested candidates should submit their technical and financial offers in sealed and separated envelops (one envelop for the technical offer and another for financial offer) to the reception desk of the following address:
GIZ – Kigali Office
KN 41Ave, N° 17 – Kiyovu
B.P 59 Kigali – Rwanda
Not later than 21 January 2019 at 4:00 PM Kigali time