ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
Responsibilities of the Local Government Specialist will include :
- Develop relationships with provincial and district officials to improve our cooperation with the government and build allies and champions for TUBURA.
- Track priority and health of our relationships and proactively design new projects to improve our engagement with stakeholders.
- Represent TUBURA at high-level regional events and meetings and high-risk meetings at the local level.
- Support One Acre Fund’s expansion into new areas through securing local government approvals.
Internal and External Communication
- Manage complex discussions with high-level regional and district officials.
- Develop concise materials for local government officials.
- Ensure reporting to government partners and communicate important issues and recommendations from government to TUBURA and vice versa.
- Provide support to field teams that guarantee adherence to subsidy guidelines and local government rules.
- Manage on-time quality control and submission of subsidy documents for local government verification and approval.
- Directly manage 2+ Local Government Officers and monitor and support their daily activities.
- Lead trainings for our team members to support steady growth and development.
- Create nuanced and applicable performance reviews and development plans to ensure career growth for all your direct reports.
- Develop and improve systems that can improve performance within the team.
- Set short-term goals and performance measurement metrics for self and team with manager support.
- Coordinate with Subsidy Lead to ensure the implementation of farmer subsidy processes at the local government level.
- Identify possible future risks and areas of non-alignment and work with different teams to implement preventative actions.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for someone with at least 3 years of work experience and a passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. leading a conference, starting a business.
- Experience working in the development sector and engaging with the public sector and local government officials is highly desired.
- Experience building and systematically managing complex relationships.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work, and enthusiasm for learning.
- People management experience with a minimum of 2 years of direct management experience and examples of people development.
- Strong educational background; a bachelor’s degree is required at a minimum.
- Technical Skills: Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office, including excel (can maintain complex spreadsheets).
- Language: Excellent oral and written communication in both English and Kinyarwanda.
- A willingness to commit to living in Rural Rwanda for at least two years
PREFERRED START DATE
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Musanze District, Rwanda
Determined by experience
Health insurance paid time off and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; Must have existing rights to work in Rwanda.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.