Career Opportunities: Logistics Officer, Service contract Level 8, Kigali (178214)
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Position Title: Logistics Officer
No of openings : 1
Contract Type : Service Contract
Position grade: SC8
Duration : One Year, renewable subject to funding availability and Successful performance
Duty Station: Kigali
Closing Date: 02 December 2022
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position will be based in Rwanda country office, Kigali duty station. It requires a results-oriented candidate to help strengthen operations and staff capabilities under the direct supervision of a more senior logistics Officer.
The candidate must have good technical and managerial abilities to maximise the efficiency of the logistics operations and activities. The candidate is expected to be results-oriented, demonstrate adaptive capacities in effective supply chain management, and make significant contributions to planning and operations at country and regional scales.
To collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of the logistics operations and activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- 1. Contribute to developing and implementing logistics plans and procedures in line with the global
WFP supply chain and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans to achieve operational cost
efficiency, agility, reliability, and quality and support national capacity strengthening.
- Support the planning, implementation, and management of Logistics Contracting and transport
activities, initiatives in compliance with the established strategies, policies, procedures, and
controls, and following corporate standards, with particular emphasis on quality control, loss
prevention, risk mitigation and cost-effectiveness.
- Perform analysis and detailed conceptual work putting together comprehensive reports identifying
opportunities for improvement and effective operationalisation of Logistics Contracting and
transport management activities.
- Organize, lead, and participate in logistics meetings/committees, including the local transport
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting, and internal control systems in
managing transport contracting and operations are functioning and that all relevant records are
- Provide technical contributions to market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform
the selection of appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Contribute to adequate logistics preparedness through contingency planning and continuous
logistics preparedness reviews.
- Manage service providers/vendors, transporters, and operations to promote safe, efficient
planning and execution of WFP operations and safeguard WFP’s interest.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, contribute to developing their technical skills, act as a point of
referral and support them with more complex analyses and queries, and coordinate to ensure
individual and team objectives are achieved.
- Participate in developing further procedures (SOP) improvements in the relevant area of
- Identify and build productive partnerships with counterparts amongst government and other
national organisations, UN agencies, NGOs and the private sector to share operational
knowledgeand resources and build capacity to ensure coordinated and cost-effective supply
- Perform other related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Advanced University degree, preferably in Supply Chain Management, Logistics & Transport, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or another related field, or First University degree with additional 2-5 years of related work experience and training/courses.
- Experience in managing logistics operations contracting and performance management, logistics services markets assessments, and retailengagement, including coordination with internal andexternal stakeholders.
- Experience in evaluating offers and writing proposals and reports.
- Experience managing relationships and national capacity-building initiatives with UN agencies, NGOs, the private sector, and government organisations.
- Experience evaluating and selecting service providers and suppliers.
- Experience identifying operational risks and maintaining documentation on emergency preparedness.
- Experience in implementing approved corrective actions to improve performance and monitor progress.
- Experience supervising staff
Knowledge & Skills:
Master in Negotiation, analysis and writing skills
Languages: Fluency (level C) in the English language.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Provide oversight and support to logistics work to ensure the unit’s performance is at a high standard, maintain top performance in the region and globally, including timely, effective, and efficient delivery
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This Position is open for Rwanda Nationals only.
Interested candidates should apply using the "Apply" button below not later than 4th December 2022
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.