Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Medical Data Assistant/Receptionist
Organizational Unit: Medical Department
Duty Station: OM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G3 (UN Salary Scale for GS staff)
Type of Appointment: One-year fixed term with a possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: October 20th, 2021
Reference Code: VN2021/20 - RW
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Medical Administrative Assistant, the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kigali, Rwanda.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Medical Assistant provides information, relevant to Health Assessment Programs, Applicant processing, and other IOM services to the migrants.
He/she may be assigned to one of two potential subunits within the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC): the reception and data processing unit or the call centre. The incumbent will need to be capable of flexibility when assigned different tasks. Below is a description of the possible tasks, which are more detailed in the duty lists and standard operating procedures (SOPS).
Call Centre overall duties:
- Provide migrants’ information regarding health assessments by phone.
- Register the migrants in the IOM database, schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and beneficiaries.
- Prepare master lists of migrants scheduled for health assessment processing and submit them to respective service providers / relevant persons as required.
- Maintain daily statistics related to health assessments and update the records; and,
- Contribute to customer satisfaction evaluation management.
Reception and Data Entry overall duties:
6. Perform all the necessary data processing activities of the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC), such as:
- receiving and explaining the registration process to applicants.
- checking applicant’s identity;
- entering biodata of the applicants in the appropriate platform;
- taking photos using webcam and loading the image to the appropriate platform; and,
- printing of medical forms, consent forms, and other necessary documents.
7. Receive all completed medical examination forms, x-rays, and other documents from Country Offices or Panel Physicians while updating the reception of the same in the database and forward for quality check before clearance, if applicable;
8. Prepare, sort, and package medical files and other documents during mobile migration health assessment missions where such mobile units are available;
9. Transmit completed medical forms, DNA packages, and other medical documents either by electronic means or by courier services to the various partners. Ensure correct contacts and physical addresses are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically;
10. File incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues;
11. Receive, Register, and distribute all correspondence/mail coming in and out of the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC);
12. Ensure office cleanliness by coordinating the work of cleaners at Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) and ensure clinical waste disposal is properly handled.
13. Report on the stock status of office supplies and assist in the stock replenishment in due time.
14. Maintaining the organization of the paper, documents and doing photocopying and duplicating services as requested.
15. Supporting office hospitality in the presence of guests by ensuring that tea, water, and refreshments are served and provided at official meetings as requested.
16. Assisting Medical team for medical screening process as assigned by supervisor.
17. Assisting the nurses in collecting medical documents and filing system.
18. To undertake data entry at the reception.
19. To assist in admin activities related to MHD procurement.
20. Assisting Medical team for medical screening process as assigned by supervisor.
21. Check, print, and make photocopy of bank deposit slips (or other proof of payment). Regularly submit these photocopies to the Administrative/Finance Assistant; and,
22. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree an accredited academic institution in Secretarial Studies, Office Management with one year of experience; or
- High school diploma with 3 years of experience required.
- Experience in computer data entry, elaboration, and analysis or in a call center in a busy institution, preferably a medical one;
- Typing speed of at least 60 words per minute;
- High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset;
- Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, is an added advantage; and,
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, word as well as good knowledge of working with databases and online applications
- The tolerant individual with the ability to work with people from different background and with flexibility and able to work on overtime, when requested
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required. French and Swahili an added advantage
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Accountability – Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for output
- Client Orientation – Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries;
- Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures;
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Presents goals as shared interests;
- Planning and Organizing - Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others;
- Professionalism - Masters subject matter related to responsibilities;
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 October 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Personnel History Form (please download and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 07.10.2021 to 20.10.2021