Inclusive Development Partners (IDP) is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist for the planned USAID-funded Strengthening Pathways to Language, Literacy and Learning for Deaf Learners (SPLD) activity in Rwanda. This Activity seeks to improve literacy outcomes for all children by the end of Primary 3 (P3) by: 1) improving parental and community support for deaf learners; 2) strengthening teacher RSL fluency and bilingual (Rwandan Sign Language (RSL) to Kinyarwanda) deaf education pedagogy; and 3) increasing youth engagement to support RSL learning and deaf learners.
IDP is seeking a MEL Specialist for a proposed full-time job of 4 years to lead and provide technical expertise on all MEL-related plans, activities and reports. This position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda. The MEL Specialist will report to the SPLD Chief of Party. Fluency in English is required with proficiency in Kinyarwanda, RSL, or other sign language preferred. Familiarity with major development evaluation methods (e.g., process, impact, outcome, and summative) and research methods (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods) and data collection and analysis methodologies is required. Skills or experience in inclusive monitoring and evaluation is considered a plus.
- Provide technical expertise for the development of annual MEL plans, including establishment of a development learning agenda.
- Establish a MEL framework and maintain a database for the processing, storage and retrieval of all required activity performance related data.
- Develop MEL capacity building and trainings for the team and all partners, including guidance, tools and templates for MEL approaches and methods.
- Support the development of technical MEL tools, products and other outputs.
- Work with partners to ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection; oversee partner capacity building as needed.
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed.
- Travel within Rwanda to conduct regular visits to program sites to provide technical assistance and ensure proper monitoring of program activities.
- Serve as a primary MEL resource to the field office and field personnel; liaise regularly with IDP MEL experts in headquarters.
- Rwandan citizenship or residency with authorization is required
- A Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to this activity preferred, such as statistics, demographics, public policy, special education, or education. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 (six) years of progressively responsible work experience working on MEL related activities. Experience within a MEL team on donor funded education projects preferred.
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating program MEL systems from program initiation to closeout stages in Rwanda required.
- Familiarity with innovative and inclusive MEL methods to ensure data collection in areas with minimal connectivity and with participants with minimal literacy skills.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
- Excellent self-management skills, including the ability to manage competing responsibilities under tight timelines.
- Prior experience with USAID MEL procedures, regulations, and reporting requirements strongly desired.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational skills, management skills, flexibility, and integrity.
- Familiarity with the education system in Rwanda or East Africa.
- Excellent communication and writing ability in English. Kinyarwanda preferred.
- Fluency in a sign language highly preferred with preference for RSL or a similar sign language spoken in the region.
- Ability to travel and work throughout Rwanda.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due March 24, 2023 and are considered on an ongoing basis.
IDP is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability are encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent on funding. Citizens or permanent residents with work authorization in Rwanda are encouraged to apply.