Chemonics International Inc.
Scope of Work
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ME&L) Specialist
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
USAID Soma Umenye will work to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of Grade 3. Specifically, Soma Umenye will target all children in Grades 1-3 attending public and government-aided schools nationwide and ensure that at least 70 percent of students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension by the end of Grade 3.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Set up the MEL system
- Review the project contract and other background documentation such as the client’s strategic objectives, results framework, MEL plan, and country strategy to understand how the project helps to achieve the client’s goals.
- Work with the ME&L Advisor to support the field team in refining the project’s results framework and participate in work planning sessions.
- Work with the ME&L Advisor in support of the development of the project’s MEL plan by helping to identify indicators and complete indicator reference sheets.
- Ensure project staff in the field and home offices understand the importance of monitoring and evaluation and the use of information for learning purposes.
- Ensure that all Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), services agreements, or other contractual arrangements with partners stipulate their responsibilities for data collection and monitoring.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to design and share databases and spreadsheets as well as formats for reporting information.
Implement the project’s approved MEL plan
- Support the ME&L Advisor to ensure that M&E activities under contract are in accordance with USAID regulations, USAID Education technical requirements and meet reporting timelines as described in sections B, C, and F of the project contract.
- Support the ME&L Advisor in organizing the collection of baseline data and the setting of targets. In cases where baselines and targets are not yet possible, describe “next steps” the field team must take to identify them. Oversee the collection of baseline data.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to organize the collection of data in accordance with the MEL plan.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to ensure data quality and integrity by periodically conducting field visits (data quality assurance exercises) and spot checks to verify data and investigate any data anomalies.
- Identify and track reliable secondary (external) sources of data as needed.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to conduct periodic training for project staff, stakeholders, and/or partners. Share information to help them monitor the progress of their work and use the data for strategic decision-making.
- Support the ME&L Advisor in maintaining the MEL system, periodically evaluating its effectiveness, and adjusting as necessary to provide the project with accurate and useful data.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to set up and maintain the ChemResults system and create periodic and on-demand reports.
- Contribute to the development annual work plans and review the relevance of the MEL plan against these work plans.
Communicate MEL information
- Support the ME&L Advisor to compile and analyze relevant data on project indicators for contractual reports.
- Provide as-requested MEL data to the client in a timely manner.
- Support the ME&L Advisor to regularly communicate progress against targets to project staff.
- Support project communications staff to disseminate lessons learned and best practices to internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Conduct other tasks as requested by supervisor or chief of party.
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID reporting and data quality requirements or experience working with another donor in an M&E capacity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of necessary computer, database, and analytical skills, particularly in issues related to monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative analytical software such as SPSS or STATA.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative software such as ATLAS.ti, WordStat.Must be familiar with USAID Education Strategy Technical Notes regarding monitoring and evaluation of Goal 1 activities.
- Experience tracking equity in learning outcomes among boys, girls, and children with special needs preferred;
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
Location of Assignment
The location of assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The ME&L Specialist will report directly to the ME&L Advisor or his/her designee.
Expected Salary: Commensurate with salary history and experience
To learn more about Chemonics, please visit www.chemonics.com
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.