The Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) is a pan-African non-governmental organization founded in 1992 by five women ministers of education to promote girls' and women's education in sub-Saharan Africa- in line with Education for All- by making sure girls and women have access to schools and are able to complete their studies and fulfill their dreams. With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, FAWE has a network of 34 National Chapters in 33 countries.
Established in 1997, FAWE Rwanda Chapter aims to build a world in which gender disparities in education are eliminated and all Rwandese girls access education, perform well and complete their studies. It promotes gender equity and equality in education in Rwanda by fostering positive policies, practices, and attitudes towards girls’ education. This is done through increasing access and retention as well as improves the quality of education for all girls within the school system and for women in universities.
FAWE Rwanda interventions have mainly focused on changing the prevailing attitudes and mindsets regarding girls’ education to ensure gender equity and equality in education especially with regards to increasing girls’ access to basic education. Specific interventions spanned from influencing education policies and laws to ensure they are gender sensitive, teachers training in gender-responsive pedagogy in schools, empowering girls through TUSEME clubs where they are also taught life skills and through various advocacy and awareness-raising activities at the national and community levels.
FAWE Rwanda is seeking to recruit an experienced National Coordinator who has integrity and is results-oriented. This position is open to Rwandan Nationals only
Job Title: NATIONAL COORDINATOR
Reports to: Executive Committee,
Responsible for: Programmes and Advocacy Manager, Finance and Administration Manager, and Executive Assistant.
Job Purpose: The National Coordinator is the overall coordinator of FAWE Rwanda chapter; steering the entire team and the Organisation towards the realization of the Vision, Mission, and Strategic Objectives.
Key Result Areas:
The National Coordinator will be responsible for: -
- Heading FAWE Rwanda and providing strategic leadership in Developing, Reviewing, Monitoring, and implementation of policies, strategies, and activities of the Institution; and provide for proper accountability for its resources.
- Overall coordination of all FAWE Rwanda chapter plans, programs and projects; and ensuring that their impact is well assessed for sustainability;
- Providing technical and professional leadership as well as guidance, and initiating policies good practices and standards that promote girl empowerment;
- Initiating and maintaining harmonious collaborations with National and International as well as Governmental Institutions in promotion of girl education;
- Performing the duties of a Secretary to FAWE Executive Committee, and ensuring that their decisions are implemented;
- Coordinating the implementation of the chapter’s activities as stipulated in the annual work plan and providing quarterly reports to FAWE Regional office, the Executive Committee, and other partners;
- Ensuring the overall program coordination by managing the day to day program activities within FAWE Rwanda structure
- Representing FAWE Rwanda Chapter at various National and International events, and Mobilize resources to support the chapter’s activities;
- Coordinating the relationship between FAWE Rwanda, policymakers, donors and other stakeholders; playing the role of advocate and lobbyist for promotion of girls’ Education;
- Supervising and appraising the programmes & Advocacy and Finance & Administration managers; as well as the other staff in FAWE Rwanda chapter;
- Performing any other duties as may be directed by the FAWE Executive Committee.
- A Bachelors degree in Public Administration and Management, Development Studies, Gender, Social work and Social Administration, Education Planning and Management, or other related disciplines; from a recognized University is a requirement.
- Possession of a Masters Degree in Education Planning and Management, Or MBA Or any other social science disciplines is an added advantage.
- At least 8 years experience in a similar or related role.
- Prior experience in gender balance promotion activities is desirable.
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to steer, change and influence teams into achieving organizational objectives
- Ability to coach, mentor teams.
- Knowledge of FAWE policies and general practices.
- Ability to coordinate with and bring together major stakeholders.
- Good analytical and discussion making skills.
How to apply:
If interested in the above-mentioned position, submit your application to FAWE RWANDA Office located at REB premises at Kimironko not later than 28th May 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Please indicate in the subject line: “NATIONAL COORDINATOR” with the following attachments:
- Motivation Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of academic credentials
- Copies of Service certificates
Dr. Kathy Kantengwa