National Program Officer Employment and Economic Development
From: Immediately/As soon as possible
Location: Rwanda, Kigali
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is Switzerland’s international cooperation agency within the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA). SDC is responsible for the overall coordination of development activities, as well as for the humanitarian aid delivered by the Swiss Confederation.
The SDC's activities in the Great Lakes region cover three priority themes: governance, employment, and economic development as well as health. The SDC coordinates its activities in Rwanda, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of Congo within a regional strategy. The head office is located in Kigali, Rwanda.
As part of the renewal of its regional strategy, the SDC in Rwanda is looking for candidates for the recruitment of a:
NATIONAL PROGRAMM OFFICER EMPLOYMENT AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
SDC is committed to promoting participation, transparency and accountability, equal treatment and non-discrimination, as well as ensuring the effectiveness of its own activities and those of its partners. It views to contribute to an environment that strengthens rule of law and human rights, gender equality, balance of power, and macro-economic stability to create the conditions for economic development and take-off of the private sector.
Switzerland supports economic development in the Great Lakes region through a program targeting in priority young people and women by creating employment opportunities out of agriculture, promoting professional skills, facilitation of cross-border trade, and strengthening the construction material value chain.
Given the crucial importance of the private sector for economic development and employment creation, SDC focuses on collaboration and engagement with the private sector and market-based development approaches
The National Program Officer will be under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Director of Cooperation and will coordinate national and regional programs.
Master's degree or equivalent in economics, international relations, political or social sciences or equivalent.
- Working experience in international development cooperation on project and program implementation and management;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in professional work working in economic development sector or vocational training as well as in project management.
- Fluency in French, English, and Kinyarwanda, written and oral;
- Knowledge of Swahili is an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of the sector of economic development, vocational training for job creation, and related issues in the Great Lakes region;
- Capacity for developing visions and strategies for the domain of employment and economic development and to realize them by means of objectives, conceptual work, and operational procedures;
- Ability to plan, monitor, and evaluate tools for cooperation programs and projects (PCM);
- High individual autonomy and a high sense of personal responsibility, including creativity and innovative capacity and willingness to learn and to embrace change;
- Good ability to establish confidence among partners and colleagues, including an excellent ability to network and to work in an team;
- Strong communication skills, including intercultural communication and capacity to work in multicultural teams ;
- Sensitivity and interest to further develop the gender dimension within the domain of employment and economic development;
- Proven leadership skills in terms of policy dialogue and program implementation / oversight;
- Good computer skills, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook);
- Excellent writing skills in French and English;
- Interest and availability to carry out field trips in Rwanda, Burundi, and the DRC (South Kivu Province).
- Operational, administrative, and financial lead of the Swiss activities in the domain of employment and economic development in Rwanda and at regional level;
- Design, planning, implementation, and follow-up of Switzerland's interventions;
- Regional support program for vocational training, operational and strategic lead; dialogue with partners, methodological, conceptual, and technical support;
- Regional program on the value chain of construction materials, operational and strategic lead; dialogue with partners, methodological, conceptual, and technical support;
- Program on cross-border trade, operational and strategic lead for Rwanda;
- Regional economic recovery program after COVID, operational and strategic lead; dialogue with partners, methodological, conceptual, and technical support;
- Support program for the financial sector, Conceptualization, operational and strategic lead for Rwanda (context analysis, monitoring, and maintenance of a network);
- Organizational, conceptual, and technical support to implementing partners.
Coordination and advocacy
- Coordination and animation of the domain of employment and economic development within the regional program, active contribution to regional processes and knowledge management;
- Active participation in policy dialogue and advocacy with partners and stakeholders (donors, UN, government) on issues of employment and economic development;
- Representation of SDC in coordination groups within the thematic of employment and economic development (eg sector working group, etc.);
- Active participation in the annual high points and events of SDC’s Great Lakes program (Mid-term review, Annual planning) and engagement for the promotion of cross-cutting themes Gender, Governance, Climate change;
- Coordinator of the regional team at thematic level, within portfolio reviews, and in the drafting of the annual report section on employment and economic development.
- Monitoring of Rwanda's economic development and the employment situation;
- Focal point for private sector engagement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written exam to confirm their technical, linguistic, and editorial skills.
Duty Station: Kigali with field visit in the Great Lakes’ region (Burundi and South-Kivu)
Occupancy rate: 100%
Estimated Start Date: From March 2021
Supporting documents to be sent:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of diplomas
- Working certificates
- Three reference persons with their contacts (phone number and email).
- 1 recent passport photo
In view of the COVID-19 situation, please send your application by email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org the subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title. "Application National Program Officer Employment & Economic Development".
Closing date: 31 January 2021
Applications will be treated confidentially. Applications that are incomplete or have reached SDC after expiration of the application deadline will not be taken into consideration. Only candidates who meet the required profile and who have followed the application procedures will be contacted.
Female candidacies are highly encouraged.
For additional information please visit the SDC Great lakes website: www.eda.admin.ch/deze/fr/home/pays/grands-lacs.html