National Programme Advisor: Research Analyst for Macroeconomic and Investment Policies
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
The Programme “Macroeconomic and Investment Policies” (MIP) contributes to the overall objective of strengthening capacities of key government and academic actors in Rwanda to shape economic and investment policies geared to pro-poor growth thereby providing advice to economic policy makers, especially in MINECOFIN, necessary for effective decision-making processes.
The role of the Research Analyst is to improve capacities at the individual and institutional levels for macroeconomic management, including short-, medium- and long-term economic projections and policy analysis in the Macroeconomic Policy Division (MPD) of the Chief Economist Department (CED) in MINECOFIN. The MPD plays a central role in formulating and coordinating inclusive growth-enhancing policies. Its key responsibility is to provide a continuous assessment of current economic conditions in Rwanda and conduct analysis and research on the economic situation and outlook. Outputs and activities of the MPD include:
- Medium-term annual macro projections (real, fiscal, monetary, external sector, external-domestic debt) and short- and medium-term quarterly macroeconomic projections and policy simulations, mainly for Budget, MTBF, IMF reviews, NST1 and long-term strategies
- Analysis of macro-micro linkages, notably trends and policy impacts in income distribution, employment, and poverty, including with the help of SAM and CGE model
- Long-term growth projections and analyses of its determinants, including demography, human capital, public investment, and environmental/climate change factors
- Analysis of tax policy reforms (initiate tax policies and laws, taxation agreements), tax incidence studies; forecasting budget revenue; and monitoring revenue performance
- Preparation of discussions with IMF, including for PCI- & RCF-supported programs
- Preparation of analytical economic chapters of Budget and MTBF, Economic Briefs and Outlooks, Annual Economic Reports, other economic and policy analyses etc.
- Coordination with MINECOFIN departments and government agencies: CED Debt Division and External Financing Division on finance and debt projections and monitoring; other MINECOFIN departments of planning (NDPR), Budget, and Accountant General (AGD); and outside MINECOFIN with RRA, NISR, and NBR
- Continuous enhancement of data efficiency: data flows and processing tools, standardized databases and data management for economic analysis and reporting.
Fixed term: July 2021 with possibility of renewal
Duties and responsibilities of the National Programme Advisor
- In general, supporting the MPD in its research and modelling activities, including through on-the-job training of MPD staff; in particular:
- Supporting operationalization and maintenance/further development of quarterly macroeconomic policy simulation model (using MATLAB)
- Supporting micro analysis of income distribution, employment, poverty using household and other surveys (using STATA) as part of related research project with IPAR
- Supporting projection/modelling activities in long-term growth and tax revenues.
- Undertaking urgent work in macroeconomic analysis at request of Senior Economist
- Assisting in shaping small research projects of research associates and coaching them
- Participating in GIZ meetings and sector network meetings and job-related trainings.
- Represent MIP Programme towards Rwandan Partners and partner institutions
- Help formulate and monitor operational plan and budget for SA1
- Support international experts under the MIP programme in delivering their training, advisory, and applied research activities
- The national advisor is GIZ staff, supervised by, and reporting to, the GIZ MIP Programme Manager, who coordinates with the Chief Economist
- The work of the advisor is guided on a day-to-day basis by the Senior Economist
- On functional matters as outlined under Duties and Responsibilities, the Advisor works closely with GIZ MIP staff in SA1 and with staff in MPD and CED.
The successful candidate has the following attributes:
- A Master’s Degree in quantitative economics or Econometrics/Statistics with economics minor from a recognised university; a PhD is an additional asset
- At least 3 years of relevant work or research experience in the field of Economics and quantitative methods
- Excellent knowledge of econometric/modelling software (MATLAB and STATA or Eviews)
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; French is an added asset
- Pro-active approach, ability to work in teams, integrity, and respectful attitude towards government official
- Keen interest in Rwanda’s inclusive growth and development agenda.
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 4th December, 2020 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali,Rwanda
GIZ Office Rwanda reserves all rights!!