Oncology Program Administrative Assistant
Rwanda Burera, Rwanda
Job Title: Oncology Program Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Director of Oncology/Oncology Program Manager
Base Location: Butaro
Partners in Health/Inshuti Mu Buzima (PIH/IMB) has worked in Rwanda since 2005, PIH/IMB began working in partnership with the Government of Rwanda to address the critical HIV/AIDS epidemic afflicting the population and to comprehensively strengthen the public health system in rural, underserved districts in Rwanda. PIH is an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through its service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. The organization is taking on immense challenges, while its newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence even greater changes on the global stage, as the work continues to expand, PIH/IMB seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization to join the team.
This position is a full time job and the selected candidate will be supportive for oncology program and the entire PIH/IMB to reach its mission through coordination of patients’ care and patients’ advocacy.
Purpose of Job:
This position will help to ensure that oncology patients’ care is delivered timely and effectively. Therefore, programmatic work will becoordinated and oncology reports will be delivered on time.
- Maintain filing system for cancer charts, including a tracking system for location of all chart at all time;
- Prepare charts for new patients into oncology program;
- Keep track of all lost follow up patients and coordinate retention in care with support from other team members;
- Make copies of oncology forms as needed;
- Prepare patients for clinic and radiotherapy referrals;
- Be involved in the selection, referral and follow up of radiotherapy patients;
- Facilitate social support processes, with improved coordination and other hospital services social work and community health.
- Work closely with Right To Health Care (RTHC) team to ensure oncology patients’ care is provided on time.
- Facilitate and coordinate patients’ care of those who requires treatment abroad and participate in planned home visits of oncology patients in collaboration with Community Health Workers (CHWs) team.
- Coordinate pathology samples from Rwanda and non - Rwanda hospitals until they reach Butaro Pathology Laboratory, record and handle them to pathology Lab personnel.
- Work with pathology laboratory team to disseminate pathology report which analysis was completed and make sure pathology report reached to their respective hospital of origin.
- Collect and provide all required oncology related reports in collaboration with existing team.
- Collect all invoices related to oncology patients’ care and prepare payment requests.
- Ensure good collaboration with clinicians (Nurses and doctors ) and adhere to Butaro Cancer Center of Excellence (BCCOE)rules and regulation
- Attend the oncology operational meetings and contribute to ongoing quality improvement initiatives.
A qualified candidate must have;
- Holder of A0 or A1 Nursing degree or A0 in Public Health from a recognized university and must have a Rwandan nursing license;
- At least 3 years of working experience in nursing within oncology related field;
- Experience in program administration, management or experience related to patients’ care coordination;
- Organizational skills and able to handle multiple tasks;
- Ability to work in a team as well as individually with minimal direction;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work extra hours based on the nature of the work;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate in Kinyarwanda, English and/or French;
- Be able to cope with patients of cultural diversity with empathy.
- Be familiar with MS. Word and Excel.