We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a Pan-African network of centres of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centres were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada.
AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers, and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Collectively, AIMS centres provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Program Manager, AIMS Rwanda!
Reporting to the Centre Chief Operating Officer, the Program Manager’s overall responsibility will be to coordinate all the day to day programmatic activities at the AIMS Centre Rwanda including The MasterCard Foundation (MCF) Scholars Program, UN IVY STEM Program, and all other donor-funded activities. The Program Manager will also provide operational leadership and oversight in planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of the Programs in the field ensuring quality and timely delivery of all Programs to meet its objectives.
As an experienced leader, the Program Manager will work with a multicultural team to actively contribute to Program Management, Program Finance, collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to review and implement tools and approaches for collecting, analyzing, disseminating the program’s monitoring data and support donor compliance and audit activities. You will also serve as the Gender focal point and lead the Gender agenda of the Centre.
This is a full-time opportunity based at the AIMS Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- Master’s degree in international development, project management or related social sciences or education.
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in program and budget management including management of the day-to-day implementation of program activities.
- A high degree of comfort in Results Based Management, M&E, and reporting.
- Experience and understanding of the impact evaluation requirements for working with international donors especially the Canadian Government and related agencies e.g. GAC, IDRC, DFID, USAID, etc
- Ability to make decisions and exercises good judgment providing solutions to challenges experienced while implementing programs.
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills in English and Kinyarwanda, both oral and written.
- Results driven and motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to set and achieve clear objectives and deadlines.
- Flexible, intellectually curious and creative.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work in multicultural teams and interact effectively with multi-cultural/racial/able students, staff and the public.
- An appreciation of/training in gender equity and equality.
- Good understanding and/or experience in the area of education and development in Africa, with a strong focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) education
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter who enjoys a dynamic work environment.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Skype, Gmail, etc.).
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to email@example.com (i.e. quote “Program Manager RW ” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until July 23, 2019.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued? AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.