Job Posting – Rwanda Program Manager
Closing Date: Open until filled
Organization: Right To Play International
Work location: Rwanda- Kigali
Right To Play is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease, and poverty. Established in 2000, Right To Play has pioneered a unique play-based approach to learning and development which focuses on quality education, life skills, health, gender equality, child protection and building peaceful communities. With programming in 18 countries, Right To Play transforms the lives of more than one million children each week, both inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to our work with children, Right To Play advocates with parents, local communities, and governments to advance the fundamental rights of all children.
Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. Our programs are facilitated by more than 550 international staff and 15,800 local volunteer Coaches.
The Africa Regional Office located in Kampala, Uganda, supports 8 country offices including; Burundi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda, and Tanzania.
The Rwanda country office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to join a team of professionals in Rwanda as Program Manager.
The Program Manager reports directly to the Country Director (CD) and technically to Director, Africa Programs..
The incumbent is responsible for program planning, design and development, fundraising, partnerships, representation, and program implementation. He/she is also responsible for the effective financial management, reporting, budget monitoring, and donor compliance. The PM leads and directly manage a team of professional staff to ensure quality program implementation.
Job Responsibility #1: Program strategic planning and development (25% of Time)
- Leads the programmatic management of all in-country projects.
- Leads the design and development of program strategies and plans with the program team and ensures their alignment with RTP strategies.
- Leads in-country tracking of the challenges faced by the program and take actions to mitigate risks and develop opportunities by turning any challenge into an opportunity and develop initiative and/or project around this challenge.
- Ensures the program team stays abreast of the current program goals and objectives and participates in the program expansion plans.
- Ensures the program teams are implementing program activities in line with donor requirements to achieve project outcomes.
- Coordinates the preparation of timely and cost-effective operational plans, budgets and strategic plans with the program team.
- Acts as advocacy manager ensuring that the program addresses the needs of the people and is appropriate for the respective country.
- Oversees the development of evidence-based advocacy initiatives around play-based approach as a tool to reach country development plans through the collaboration with program team and local stakeholders.
- Supports the Country Director in developing project proposals for new projects that aligned with the organization’s strategic targets
Job Responsibility #2: Program quality, innovation, accountability and reporting (25% of Time)
- Maintains the existing process of monitoring and evaluation (ME) and reporting system of RTP.
- Supports the Monitoring and Evaluation team in the development and implementation of monitoring, review, assessment and evaluation plans for improved program development and delivery.
- Ensures adherence to RTP program standards in program design and implementation.
- Oversees submission of proper accountabilities of program funds and quality narrative reports in line with donor requirements.
- Facilitates country level conversations around program quality, program accountability, partnerships, gender, and child protection.
- Provides quarterly updates of lessons learned and best practices to CD’s and stakeholders ensuring that program lessons are being used to promote improved program delivery.
- Conducts regular monitoring visits to project locations.
Job Responsibility #3: Policy and Advocacy including Child Safeguarding, Gender, and Environment (15% of Time):
- Engagement of networks and coalitions on Child Rights and Education Campaign Coalitions on the RTP Child Safeguarding Policy and Child-Centered Play methodology for incorporation in their approach.
- Participate in technical committees and sector working groups with the view to influencing the adoption of the RTP Child-Centered Play Based Methodology.
- Supports in the ongoing process of periodic updating of the progress being made in actualizing the country strategy document.
- Ensures inclusion of relevant provisions in Contracts/MoUs on RTP Child Safeguarding and Gender Policies. ____________________________________________________________________________________
Job Responsibility #4: Program financial management (10% of Time):
- Coordinates with the finance team to provide financial training for non-financial staff in effective country program financial management, including procurement, project implementation, compliances, and project financial report
- Supports the budget planning processes to ensure that program funds are expended according to procedures and plans.
- Collaborates with the program team and develops new initiatives to be integrated into the budg
Job Responsibility #5: Team management, compliances and capacity building (10% of Time)
- Communicates the program vision to the program team, leads and directs them toward achieving the program goals and objectives.
- Ensures that the program team has a clear understanding of their roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities; supported by clear job descriptions to ensure quality performance.
- Conducts program staffing needs assessment, presents recommendations to the CM and participates in the recruitment of the program team.
- Facilitates the capacity building of program team to ensure they have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and are developing to their full capacity; provides the necessary feedback to the program team and completes their performance appraisals.
- Provides direct support to the program team in the form of systems and tools.
- Implements policies and procedures that guide and support RTP activities, ensure compliance with RTP code of conduct, gender and child protection policies.
- Develops and strengthens the program team’s understanding of project cycle management.
Job Responsibility #6 : Partnership, fundraising ,representation and collaboration (10% of Time)
- Facilitates linkages, collaboration and networking with other civil society organizations and government and other relevant institutions to enhance RTP visibility and program activities.
- Represents RTP in various platforms and maintains positive relationships with governments and other relevant stakeholders regarding RTP activities.
- Identifies and develops new partnerships with local NGOs, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and the communities.
- Oversees the management of existing partnerships.
- Ensures ownership of the program by local partners and stakeholders.
- Meets with partners’ staff and community leaders to discuss program Improvement as needed.
- Joins the CD in meetings and represents him/her when required.
- Participates in partnership meetings with donors.
Job Responsibility #7: Performs other duties as assigned (5% of Time)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies or other related disciplin
- 5 years’ experience managing international development programs and liaising with government officials and donors.
- Proven experience in project planning, proposal development, report writing, resource mobilization, networking, partnership-building and working with NGOs.
- Strong MS Office and program management tools and procedures
- Budgetary control and financial management, including ability to read and understand financial data
- Project management skills
- Understanding of the concept of sport for development
- Understanding of community development processes
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
- Experience in quality improvement
- Experience working in child protection, education sector
- Sport and play experience
- Experience in strengthening civil societies
- Coaching background
- Gender mainstreaming and governance background
- Superior organizational skills and ability to multi-task on a constant basis
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build rapport with staff, partners, government officials, donors and community leaders.
- Ability to work under pressure meeting deadlines in a fast-paced fluid environment.
- Creative and flexible with problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated professionalism and diplomacy.
- Ability to confidently represent oneself and RTP to high-level officials.
- Strategy planning skills.
- People management particularly coaching and influence management.
Ability to travel in country and internationally.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: Iimmediately
Contract Duration: Long term engagement based on performance and availability of funds.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to RwandaHR@righttoplay.com and kindly include “Program Manager” and your name in the subject line. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Right To Play is a child-centered organization. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs.
To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at www.righttoplay.com.