Career Opportunities: Programme Associate-Fixed Term (G6)-Kirehe Field Office (101109)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that the team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help the team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
This position will be based in WFP Rwanda, Kirehe Field Office and the job holder will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Field office. At this level, the job holder will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only minimal guidance. This position requires an experienced individual with a degree of judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis and is expected to manage resources, coach and coordinate staff.
Within the delegated authority, Programme Associate will be responsible for providing effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes at the field office level, supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide specialized project management support to WFP operations and programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security, and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation, and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, and cooperating partners involved in implementing WFP supported activities.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and /or French. The knowledge of both is an added value. Fluency in Kinyarwanda.
Experience: At least six years of experience the area of either Livelihood, Food Assistance, Nutrition, Project Management, Agriculture, Economics
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams (i.e. food assistance, nutrition, livelihood etc.).
- Has contributed to the implementation of programmes.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This position requires an individual with substantial experience in managing emergency operations, refugee operations, and livelihood projects with good communication, and report writing skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility: This position is open to Rwandan nationals or anyone with a valid permit to live and work in Rwanda.
Duration of Post: 1 year renewable, subject to successful performance and availability of funds.
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment, General Service Category, Level 6
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
21 November 2018
Qualified Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply