The consultant shall serve as the Project Director for the construction period. The consultant shall have at least 10 years as a Project Director for a big power plant of at least 80Mw Peat, or related power plants in Africa or elsewhere in the world.
There will be two distinct areas of responsibility for the Project Director, namely: (A) Managing the business activities of the Project Company and (B) Managing construction of the Project.
A. Managing the business of Employer will include:
- Assuming overall responsibility for the management of the construction management team activities to ensure successful completion of the Plant to time, budget and in accordance with the highest international standards, and ensuring a smooth transition into the operations phase
- Working with the Board of the Project Company and lenders, recruiting the broader construction management team
- Preparing and presenting necessary financial reporting documentation and other deliverables to the Board of the Project Company and other stakeholders, including project lenders
- Administering the financing process, ensuring efficient and timely drawdown of funds both from debt and equity against milestones specified in the financing documents
- Being responsible for the management and maintenance of construction insurance policies and project security instruments
- Liaising with Government of Rwanda officials, the power off taker and Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure, Rwanda
- Managing all aspects of public, stakeholders, community engagement and investor relations
B. During the construction period the Project Director will manage the construction of the Project. The Project Director will be Project Company’s representative under the EPC Contract providing decision making authority and senior level oversight at the Site. In fulfilling this role, the responsibilities of the Project Director will include:
- Managing the construction effort, along with a team of engineers and technicians responsible for overseeing the construction management of the Plant
- Mobilising and directing the engineers responsible for overseeing the manufacture of key items of equipment including the management of a program of factory inspection tests
- Directing team members responsible for assisting the process of importing equipment through the port of Mombasa
- Overseeing the activities of the security contractor at the site
- Making full preparations for commercial operations, including all necessary plans, procedures and other requirements at the Site
Experience and Qualifications:
The candidate will:
- Have managed the construction of peat powered projects. A preference will be shown for those candidates who have hands-on experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams and have extensive knowledge of peat powered geothermal plant construction.
- Be experienced in managing turnkey EPC Contracts and other related Project agreements
- Be skilled in integrating the diverse interests of the business; engineering, finance, regulatory, contracting, etc.
- Have a relevant engineering degree from a recognised university and at least 15 years’ professional experience in managing construction of peat powered projects.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to apply via the "Apply for this job" button below. Deadline is the 8th of March 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.