Gardens for Health International
Employment Opportunity: Communications Associate
About Gardens for Health International:
To tackle the root causes of malnutrition, we equip families with seeds, skills, and knowledge to create vegetable gardens, prepare balanced meals, and keep children healthy. For over a decade, Gardens for Health International has been working hand-in-hand with local communities to end chronic malnutrition. Our innovative curriculum on agriculture, nutrition and health topics was designed in partnership with local mothers, our trainings are led by talented educators who come directly from the communities they serve, and our dedicated staff is over 90% Rwandan.
We believe in changing systems, not treating symptoms. Integrating agriculture and nutrition into the health system is the only sustainable solution to effectively treat and prevent malnutrition. We work in close partnership with the Government of Rwanda by teaming up with community health workers, delivering trainings at local health clinics, and advising policy.
The Communications Associate is responsible for producing engaging written and visual content for Gardens for Health International external audience to contribute to Gardens for Health’s development activities. They will design strategies to attract new supporters and inform existing ones about our work and translate that influence into fundraising across diverse media outlets. The Communications Associate will support the Development and Communications Manager and US Operations Manager in cultivating and maintaining relationships with new donors and foundations through compelling storytelling of the organization's programming. This is a position for a creative individual with strong writing, photography, and videography skills and an ability to craft engaging stories for diverse audiences.
The Communications Associate will serve as a key member of the Development and Communications Team under the direct supervision of the Development and Communications Manager who is also based in Kigali, Rwanda and alongside the US Operations Manager who is based in the US.
GHI seeks to hire qualified, committed and experienced National to fill the following position:
Position: Communications Associate
Place of Work: Kigali with travel to the field as required
Reports to: Communications and Development Manager
Time frame: Open Ended
Tentative start date: 1st of June 2021
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Conducting field visits and interviews with field staff and program participants to produce visual and written material to support our online and print media presence
- Producing storytelling content that is locally empowering to the people we serve and engaging to our global network of supporters
- Maintaining our online social media presence across platforms including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Producing fundraising and marketing materials (e.g. program one pager, donor appeal, annual report) using graphic design to attract new donors and engage existing ones
- Writing and designing monthly newsletters, emails to donors, and blog posts
- Leading the production of promotional videos for an external audience to showcase the organization’s work
- Updating the Gardens for Health’s website to ensure it accurately reflects the organization’s program and work
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or Marketing and Media Production or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of working experience
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Exceptional writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and a high level of attention-to-detail
- Experience in photography with a preferred knowledge of Adobe Light room
- Preferred skills in videography
- Preferred skills in graphic design with a preferred knowledge in Adobe InDesign
- Preferred skills in website design including experience in Square space
- Passion for Gardens for Health’s vision and values, with a commitment to serving the organization mission
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org . All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the deadline for receiving applications is 20th May 2021. Please mention Communications Associate as subject of your mail.
*Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.