Job Description: Research Analyst | Laterite, Rwanda
Position: Research Analyst
Education: Masters in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or related field
Experience: 1 year of relevant professional experience
Language requirements: English
Pre-requisites: Quantitative data analysis skills
No of positions: 2
- Do you want to make a difference to social and economic outcomes in Rwanda through development research?
- Are you passionate about working on social and economic research projects across the education, public health, youth, agriculture and urbanization sectors, with a focus on gender and social inclusion?
- Do you want to work on innovative social and economic research projects with high-profile clients like the World Bank, the Mastercard Foundation, USAID and DFID?
Then this might be the role for you! Laterite's Research Analyst role will provide you with the opportunity to develop your technical and soft skills while making a difference in development research in Rwanda.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We work with internationally recognized universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. We provide three types of services to clients:
- comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions;
- research services, from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis; and
- Strategic and technical research advice.
At Laterite, we transform the way development research is done. Our mission is to use the most innovative research methods and the latest academic thinking to design effective responses to development issues. We see every new challenge as an opportunity to try out new ideas and embrace new technologies, always with the objective of creating new and better ways of conducting research.
We want our research to create a long-term impact. We do this by embedding ourselves in the local context. By establishing close working relationships with key players and building local teams and data collection systems, we are able to truly understand the context and deliver high-quality and impactful research.
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. Our teams bring together more than 45 full time local and international staff, as well as 500 enumerators across countries, in a dynamic and fun work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at: www.laterite.com
Position Description & Key Responsibilities
As a Research Analyst, based in our Kigali office, you will:
- Work on technical research projects – supporting the design of research instruments and research designs, conducting a quantitative and qualitative analysis, drafting sections of reports, and keeping clients updated on progress.
- Independently deliver high-quality sections of reports or data analysis – ensuring your deliverables are client-ready and on time.
- Work with a team – proactively communicating with team members to keep projects on track, paying attention to details, and escalating any risks or issues early.
- Improve the way we work – researching and piloting new methodologies and technologies, standardizing and automating processes for data collection and analysis, and supporting internal operations like recruitment and IT with the objective of continuously improving the way we work.
You will be able to develop skills and experience in:
- Technical design of research projects, including sampling and impact evaluation methodologies.
- Project management and client communication.
- Data analysis, statistical techniques, and coding (using Stata, R, Python, and NVivo).
- Report writing: drawing insights from data and presenting them in a client-ready, consultancy quality format.
Laterite is a fast-growing organization that provides excellent opportunities for personal development and career progression. We conduct internal promotion reviews twice a year and provide opportunities to develop your career within Laterite across our offices in East Africa and the Netherlands.
You have a strong interest in and understanding of data analysis. You are passionate about social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can quickly grasp research concepts, and structure your technical approach to a problem. You have excellent interpersonal skills, are self-motivated and can flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable. You also have good written and oral communication skills (in English), and can effectively communicate internally and externally.
You have a Master’s in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field, and 1 year of relevant professional experience. You are proficiently analyzing data in Stata or similar statistical software. You are focused on developing your professional skills and working in social and economic development. You thrive in an innovative and collaborative organization.
Competitive with similar roles in other social enterprises and research firms. Benefits include flight allowances (for international staff), generous leave, international health insurance, medical evacuation (for international staff), and individual/team bonuses.
Please submit your CV and short application at https://form.myjotform.com/91603115846556. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply ASAP.
We are also recruiting for Research Associates in Rwanda.