Research Assistant, Center for One Health
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Kigali, Rwanda
Research Assistant – Center for One Health
University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Title: Research Assistant – Center for One Health
Reports to: Assistant Professor, One Health Faculty
Location: Kigali with travel to sites throughout Rwanda
Role Purpose: The purpose of this position is to support the One Health team on research associated with Neglected Tropical Diseases in Rwanda. This position would take a leadership role in implementing research that seeks to characterize women’s perspectives on protective footwear, to design a new prototype according to their specifications, and to be an agent for gender sensitive change. They would also participate in other teaching and research duties in the Masters of Global Health Equity program, as required.
Timeframe: This position would last 2 years with a preferred start date in May 2021.
- To conduct a thorough literature review on assigned topics
- To liaise with Community Health Workers and other health professionals to recruit study participants
- To organize and conduct in-person focus group discussions with study participants through-out Rwanda
- To manage, monitor, clean, and ensure quality of data obtained
- To conduct qualitative coding of transcripts from focus group discussions
- To attend weekly team meetings and provide timely progress updates
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant discipline (e.g. gender studies, human medicine, global health, implementation science)
- Previous experience working with female farmers, knowledge of gender studies, and an interest in fashion
- Fluency in verbal and written Kinyarwanda and English required
- Strong qualitative skills including focus group facilitation and coding
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with a strong ability to prioritize
- Able to work independently and problem solve in a fast paced environment
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to effectively liaise with study participants and community liaisons
- Commitment to social justice and health care equity
- As per UGHE’s Pay Scale
- Great working environment that allows one to reach their greatest potential
Applicants should provide: (1) Curriculum vitae, (2) Cover Letter (3) Graduate Transcripts, (3) A list of relevant trainings delivered or designed.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2FosSkffwD
The deadline: 27th May 2021