Job Description: Research Associate | Laterite Rwanda
Position: Research Associate
Education: Min. Masters in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or related field
Experience: Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience
Language requirements: English; Kinyarwanda a plus
Pre-requisites: Outstanding quantitative data analysis skills & experience managing research projects
No of positions: 2
- Do you want to make a difference to knowledge creation in Rwanda through development research?
- Are you passionate about leading social and economic research projects across education, public health, youth, agriculture and urbanization sectors, with a focus on gender and social inclusion?
- Do you work best when collaborating with experts across disciplines and getting the best out of their expertise?
- Do you love discovering new contexts and spending time in countries like Rwanda?
If yes, then this might be the role for you! Laterite's Research Associate role based in Rwanda will provide you with the opportunity to hone your leadership and technical skills and make a difference to development research in Rwanda.
We are seeking two Research Associates to work across all our core research sectors (education, public health, youth, agriculture and urbanization).
- One Research Associate will focus on education and have experience in quantitative research in education.
- One Research Associate will, like most of our team, will work across 2 or 3 research sectors depending on active projects.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We provide three types of services to clients: i) comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions; ii) research services, from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis; and iii) strategic and technical research advice. We work with internationally recognized universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies.
At Laterite, we transform the way development research is done. Our mission is to deploy the most innovative research methods and the latest academic thinking to design effective responses to development issues. With every new challenge and opportunity, we try out new ideas and embrace new technologies, always with the objective of creating new and better ways of conducting research.
We believe that impact is a long-term endeavor that requires being embedded in the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams and data collection systems, understanding the context, establishing close working relationships with key players, and understanding their constraints and motivations.
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and India. Our teams bring together more than 45 full time local and international staff, 500 enumerators across countries, in a dynamic and fun work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at www.laterite.com
Position Description & Key Responsibilities
As a Research Associate, based in our Kigali office, you will:
- Manage 1 to 2 research projects: ensuring implementation according to protocols and ethics approvals, managing to budgets and timelines, and coordinating with clients.
- Play a hands-on role in all the steps of the research process: drafting protocols, designing and piloting research instruments, developing sampling strategies, reviewing data collection processes and data quality, conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis, writing reports, and presenting to clients.
- Contribute to the development of new business: writing technical and research proposals, budgeting, and coordinating submission requirements.
- Improve the way we work: researching and piloting new methodologies and technologies, standardizing and automating processes for data collection and analysis, and supporting internal operations like recruitment and IT with the objective of continually innovating and improving the way we work.
Ideal candidates have outstanding technical and analytical skills. You are passionate about social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can quickly grasp research concepts, and structure your technical approach to a problem. You have solid project management skills and can manage activities involving varying levels of stakeholders. You have excellent interpersonal skills, are self-motivated and can flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable. You also have excellent written and oral communication skills (in English), and can effectively communicate internally and externally.
Proficiency in STATA, R or Python and any ODK based platform is a must! You have a Master’s in Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field, and at least 3 years of relevant professional experience. Research experience in education, youth, public health, agriculture or urbanization is strongly desirable. You are willing to develop your professional skills, contribute to the growth of an organization dedicated to social and economic development, and thrive in an innovative and collaborative organization.
Competitive with similar roles in other social enterprises and research firms. Benefits include flight allowances (for international staff), generous leave, international health insurance, medical evacuation (for international staff), and individual/team bonuses.