Must-have: Post-graduate degree in Economics, Econometrics, Development
Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors
Demonstrated experience leading and mentoring research teams
Demonstrated experience managing complex research projects
Demonstrated experience growing research or business pipelines
Laterite is looking for an experienced professional to lead research teams, strategy, and operations in our office in Kigali, Rwanda.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We provide three types of services:
- Data: comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions
- Research: from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis
- Advisory: strategic and technical research advice
Laterite works with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies.
Our core activity sectors are: public health, agriculture, urbanization & migration, education, and youth & labor. We are also involved in projects with a focus on gender issues.
We believe that impact is a long-term endeavor that requires being embedded in the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams and data collection systems, understanding the context, establishing close working relationships with key players, and understanding their constraints and motivations.
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and the Netherlands. Our teams bring together more than 60 full time local and international staff in a dynamic and nurturing work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization. Learn more: www.laterite.com
Job description & key responsibilities
As a Research Manager based in Rwanda you will:
- Oversee the technical delivery and operations of a portfolio of research projects, from design to data collection, analysis and follow-through.
- Provide technical advice, coaching and steering for research design, project management, analysis, and reporting to ensure we deliver value for our clients and use rigorous and innovative research methods.
- Manage the country office, including structuring Laterite’s research agenda, contributing to corporate strategy, overseeing process improvements, and financial and personnel management.
- Design and lead training and professional development activities for the research team and the wider Laterite team.
- Build and manage the pipeline of research projects, turning internal research ideas into externally funded projects and designing evaluations for clients.
As a member of Laterite’s senior management team, you will consult on corporate strategy, business operations, and opportunities for growth. You will serve as role model for the team, actively promoting our corporate culture, mentoring colleagues, and helping us to achieve our mission as an organization.
Laterite is expanding rapidly, and we are open to the possibility of hiring exceptional candidates at a higher grade.
We are looking for an accomplished researcher who combines excellent technical skills with management experience.
Our future colleague has:
- Demonstrated experience leading an organization, department, or program, including financial and operational management.
- Direct supervisory experience and demonstrated experience training and mentoring researchers.
- Demonstrated experience designing and overseeing complex research projects.
- Demonstrated experience building business pipelines and nurturing relationships with clients and stakeholders from the public and private sectors.
- Motivation to work in social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 5+ years of research or project management experience and at least 2 years in a management role in education, youth, public health, agriculture and/or urbanization.
- A postgraduate degree (Masters or above) in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors
Additionally, we are looking for:
- A self-motivated team leader with excellent interpersonal skills who thrives in a fast-paced environment where timelines can be unpredictable
- Technical expertise in quantitative or qualitative research methods.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (in English)
- Proficiency in STATA, R, or Python.
We invite you to complete our application form and submit your CV and a cover letter (maximum two-pages) describing your experience in leading teams of researchers in development research projects, as well as your experience in leading an organization, department, or program, including financial and operational management.
We will contact successful applicants to discuss next steps. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply ASAP.
The deadline for applications is May 23rd, 2021.