About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
One Acre launched Smallholder Resilience Ventures (SRV) to capitalize value chains, supporting early stage agribusinesses and increasing climate adaptation. The idea is to combine:
- Market Access: Aggregating produce from smallholder farmers, focusing on high value climate resilient crops
- Small and Medium Enterprise investments: Investing with debt and equity, and providing technical assistance to companies along the value chain
- Venture Studio: Where businesses do not exist, launching new ones.
By addressing multiple value chain challenges simultaneously (e.g. both inputs and end-markets), we can create a virtuous cycle of increasing profits for farmers and businesses.
About the Role
The investment team is expanding in Rwanda and across East Africa. Therefore, we are hiring for multiple positions.
The Investment Analyst role focuses on the entire investment cycle (origination, investment proposal writing, due diligence, performance monitoring, portfolio management, and exits) and compliance.
Over time, you will take on more leadership of the investment process, and also have the opportunity to contribute to the Venture Studio.
As part of our growth and expansion, you will analyze regulatory trends to ensure we comply in new operating environments and market trends to identify investment opportunities. To do this, you will work closely with legal counsel and One Acre country teams.
The Investment Analyst will report to the SRV Managing Director and the Investment Lead.
- Set up in new geography or scale existing geographies
- Run the investment cycle
- Post-investment, assess portfolio company needs and provide support
- Lead investment monitoring to assure quality in the investment portfolio and on-time repayment of loans
- Build and maintain financial projections and valuation models.
- Support fund reporting and the preparation of presentations to investors/ board.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 3 or more years of work experience in private equity, venture capital, investment banking, or related field.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in economics, business, finance, or related field.
- Experience with financial and operational due diligence of early-stage businesses and strong grasp of financial statements
- Kinyarwanda, Swahili, or other local languages are a plus
- Ideally, experience in the agricultural sector.
- Flexibility - SRV is new, so enjoyment of change and learning quickly
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Kigali, Rwanda or Kampala, Uganda
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred.
06 May 2024.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.