Reporting to the Country Director the holder of this position will support Alert staff and partners and contribute to the country programs’ impact and sustainability by ensuring compliance and sound management of all finance, admin and human resources related activities, in line with Rwandan Law, donor regulations and International Alert’s policies, procedures and minimum standards.
International Alert Rwanda’s financial system;
- Assume overall responsibility for donor financial reporting, ensuring compliance with any legislative and donor requirements – including inter alia reports, forecasts, and projections.
- Customize the Alert finance and procurement manuals in view of meeting all local statutory requirements and other requirements that relate to the local operating environment
- Be the focal point for any internal or external audits – including the provision of supporting documentation.
- Ensure office accounts are maintained in accordance with Alert’s finance systems and donor requirements
- Ensure monthly financial reports, as well as expenditure forecasts / cash-flows, are produced in a timely fashion
- Ensure Alert’s tax payments and other statutory obligations such are administered in accordance with Rwanda law
- Ensure the Directorate’s annual registration process for Alert is carried out compliant with Rwandan law.
- Ensure adequate controls over cash and bank management are constantly monitored and updated to minimize the risk of fraud and misappropriation.
- Ensure that sufficient funds are maintained in bank and cash accounts and initiate requests to the Head Office for additional funds
- Assist with investigations into alleged fraud and irregularities
- Oversee core payroll services including processing monthly payroll and statutory and internal deductions, maintaining payroll records and issuing monthly pay slips.
- Ensure that all expenses are authorized in line with Rwanda procurement manual, with correct segregation of duties, and efficiently processed
Provide senior level advice, information, and analysis on all aspects of programme financial and management.
- Provide technical financial advice and expertise to the Country Director, Project Manager, program staff, and Finance and Admin Officer
- Direct line management responsibility of Finance and Administration Officer
- Support Project Manager and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in interpreting financial information to enable them to make decisions based on financial reports
- Monitor all financial activities and keep the Country Management team advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls.
- Ensure that the systems in place enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency and effectiveness of the way assets are utilized.
- Assume overall responsibility for developing and maintaining the Rwanda Country Budget – including identifying funding gaps and proposing a pro-active solution to managing those gaps.
- Review and revise the Country and Project Budgets latter in conjunction with Project Managers] as required by the Alert budget cycle [revised at least twice per year]
- Support the Country Management team by developing new project budgets as required. Provide the Country Management team with an opinion on the ability of Alert to meet any financial contractual obligations
- Assist in the induction and orientation of country staff with regards to Alert RWANDA’s finance systems.
Grant management & support to NGO partners
- Support NGO partners in the development of sound finance systems and the management of funds, where required;
- Undertake grant management and oversight responsibilities for all grant contracts;
- Undertake financial reporting to donors and government, ensuring compliance with any donor requirements;
- Oversee partner sub-contracting agreements and undertake partner financial assessments (as required).
Lead a strong HR function
- Lead proposed a revision of comprehensive HR systems in line with Rwanda's laws and Alert's international policies and procedures, including through peer consultation and discussion with lawyer if necessary
- Lead staff training on Alert Rwanda HR systems, ensuring all aspects are well understood and observed
- Oversee all aspects of HR management, ensuring compliance with Alert Rwanda's HR policies, systems, and procedures
- Support managers in building staff capacity, team spirit and confidence in all areas
- Proactively lookout for initiatives that will improve and develop the HR function in the Rwanda office.
- Liaise closely with Alert's HR Team on any issues arising and as required.
- Coordinate inductions, briefings, trainings of staff;
- Conduct regular salary and benefits benchmarking to ensure that Alert Rwanda remains a competitive employer.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Alert Rwanda Country Strategy.
- Liaise closely with the Africa Programme Finance team in London, ensuring streamlined finance management between Rwanda and London, and providing required information in required formats
- When delegated, represent Alert Rwanda and participate in conferences and seminars
- Be an active member of the Alert team in Rwanda and support and assist colleagues;
- Any other duties which contribute to the smooth running of International Alert Rwanda, as required by the Country Coordinator.
Line manage Finance and Admin Officer, Assistant, interns, volunteers, drivers, cleaners and other support staff who work for Alert Rwanda. Act as functional supervisor [in parallel to the Africa Programme Head of Finance and Operations]