ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
At One Acre Fund, we call to impact our “north star.” Our goal is to increase the impact for the hundreds of thousands of farmers we serve across Rwanda by encouraging them to purchase impactful products and to use good agricultural practices. Our vision is to see a visible impact in the homes of all Rwandan farmers by 2030. The work of the Field Operations Impact Strategy Lead is to make that vision come to life.
To do this, the Impact Strategy Lead will report to the Program Design Lead to:
- Collaborate with the Innovations Department to develop agricultural training, test them in the field, and ensure that they are easy to facilitate, understandable by the end-user and effective in changing farmer behavior
- Review historical drivers of impact and design cost-effective interventions that have the potential to increase $ impact per farmer
- Conduct qualitative research to better understand farmer behavior, and translate learnings into strategies that increase the adoption of good agricultural practices (GAP)
- Coordinate with the Design Team to create materials used by clients and the field team, including planting guides and pest & disease guides
- Oversee the execution of impact activities in the field by following up on progress, correcting course when needed, and creating recommendations for future seasons
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Agricultural Training and Farmer Outreach/Engagement
Create the annual training and GAP outreach calendar by identifying key agricultural practices to target throughout the year. Design training that is user-friendly and farmer-focused and conducts training of trainers with the field team and follow-up on performance to understand how clients retain information, and whether training lead to behavior change.
Impact Strategy Design
Drive impact through other channels such as field team follow-up activities targeted SMS campaigns and local government alignment on key messages. To do this, you will review the drivers of GAPs, consult team members from multiple departments, and develop trials to test behavior change strategies in the field. In this process, you will oversee trial design, follow-up, and evaluations to measure success and make recommendations.
Oversee the procurement and distribution of impact materials to and from the field. This will involve designing timelines for procuring and delivering materials to the field such as field management training materials, planting guides, planting tools, crop management training materials used by the field team and clients. You will track the movement of these materials and take regular inventory of them at One Acre Fund offices across Rwanda.
Impact of Strategy Communication
As a spokesperson for impact on the Field Operations Team, you will brainstorm and collect feedback on impact strategies with members of the team and will inform other One Acre Fund departments on the impact strategies going out into the field. To do this, you must communicate complex ideas through powerpoint presentations, e-mails, pre-read documents, and team discussions in a clear way to all audiences.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for professionals with 2+ years of work experience, and a long–term passion for agricultural development and knowledge sharing. This posting is for a career-track role with a minimum initial commitment of two years. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- University degree in the agricultural sciences or agricultural development
- Experience designing and facilitating training
- Critical thinker, with the ability to establish a clear theory of change
- Experience in extension, with the ability to take complex ideas and translate them into user-friendly concepts
- Skillful in project design, including calendaring and the development of research in a rural setting
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to work with team members to achieve a common goal
- Humility and personal stability. We are looking for passionate professionals that combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- Language – English, and Kinyarwanda
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes; East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org).