JOB DESCRIPTION: RWANDA MANAGER OF DISTRICTS
Company: EarthEnable Rwanda
Reports to: Deputy Rwanda Managing Director
Location: Either between Kayonza/Rwamagana/Ngoma or Bugesera/Kamonyi
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 75% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 70% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 40,000 square meters of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
About the Role
EarthEnable expanded to three new districts in the past 8 months and is looking to continue to scale and grow throughout 2018 and on into the future. In order to achieve our ambitious growth goals, we are seeking experienced and passionate Rwanda Managers of Districts (of either Rwamagana/Kayonza/Ngoma or Bugesera/Kamonyi) who is excited to take a fast-growing and high-impact organization to new levels, alongside a passionate and hard-working team. The Rwanda Manager of Districts will work closely with the Deputy Rwanda Managing Director and Rwanda Managing Director in developing and implementing the organization’s strategic plans and policies and will directly provide leadership and direction to the district staff under their purview and other technical staff.
The successful candidate will be willing to get his or her hands dirty and travel regularly between 2-3 of our 5 district offices (either Bugesera/Kamonyi or Kayonza/Rwamagana/Ngoma) to closely guide and coordinate work across our districts while having an eye for the bigger picture and growth projections of the company. We are looking for someone who is adept at detailed planning, a quick learner, and an entrepreneurial self-starter.
The responsibilities of this role will include, but certainly not be limited to:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Work with Rwanda Deputy Managing Director and Rwanda Managing Director to develop scale strategy and to set operational targets, and then manage execution of strategy within current districts and any new districts we expand to
- Manage execution and coordination of strategy across departments in district to avoid inconsistencies or overlap in work streams
- Get out to customer sites to ensure adequate communication of messages and efficient operational procedures at least once a week
- Manage overall administration and operations of EarthEnable in districts, including ensuring that departmental targets are met for Sales, Operations, Finance, and Customer Experience
- Work closely with the Senior Manager of Government Relations to represent EarthEnable and its organizational ethic to senior district government officials and other partner organizations
- Build capacity of the district staff to lead their functions independently through active management, teaching, and support
- Report regularly to the senior management team, including participation in management meetings at the head office
- Ultimate profit and loss responsibility for the district: drive revenue to cover operational costs, working closely with the finance department to analyze budgets and actuals across various units
- Ensure fiscal responsibility in all the district’s budgets and spending, prioritizing cost cutting and cost saving
- 5-7 years of work experience, with 3+ years of management experience (experience with fast-growing ventures is a plus)
- Exceptional people skills and managerial skills; avid team player with a coaching and mentoring approach
- Passionate about international development and social enterprise
- Commitment to working in rural environments across Rwanda
- Fluency (or advanced business proficiency) in English and Kinyarwanda
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time, and keep track of a variety of workstreams
- Resourcefulness and critical thinking skills to quickly determine why something isn’t working and iterate quickly to try to solve it; creative problem solving
- Excellent attention to detail, commitment to excellence, and outstanding work ethic
- Strong understanding of accounting, budget management, and financial management
- Hard working and gritty to push through challenges
- Strong analytical skills, including Excel modelling and data analysis
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments; thrives in a bootstrapped culture
- Maturity and poise under stress
- Optimistic attitude, sense of humor, entrepreneurial spirit, curiosity to learn new things, creative problem solver, humble and patient team-player with a sense of humor
- Strong technology skills (knowledge of Word, Excel, Salesforce, Google Docs, and Dropbox)
- B.A. in business, management, marketing, economics or a related field required; graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, MPH etc.) a plus, but not required
Apply online at http://www.earthenable.org/applynow. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.