ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 7,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, our farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will report to the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Deputy Director and IV Director as a team member of the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Department. The MEL Department at One Acre Fund operates as an in-house research department, and results are used to inform program decisions and rigorously understand impact.
We are looking for an impact evaluator or field research professional to join our team as a MEL Analyst in Kigali, Rwanda. You will use data to improve our operations, develop a deputy, and coordinate our research activities across multiple programs and teams. You will contribute to make informed decisions for our long-term strategy by working with leadership and the Impact Venture (IV) team in Rwanda.
- Design studies, run field testing of survey instruments and advise different Business Units on trial design and MEL requirements.
- Improve data collection efficiency to drive MEL survey cost down.
- Analyze data to draw early and final conclusions and write reports with recommended actions. Help Business Unit make strategic decisions on when/how to amend, scale or pull back, or stop a venture entirely based on the evidence.
- Work with the field teams to ensure MEL results and recommendations are understood and acted upon.
- Manage the local MEL team including a Field Coordinator, MEL Specialists, and Data Manager which support a team of about 40 enumerators. You will:
- Mentor field staff on best practices in MEL execution through field visits, meetings, and training programs.
- Build capacity for analysis staff on MEL design and rigorous analysis.
- Manage the main MEL activities in the field, with an eye to "perfect" quality standards.
- Quality–control and management of data collection processes.
- Oversee the hiring and development of MEL staff.
- Shape organizational strategy based on MEL results in collaboration with leadership and IV team.
- Coordinate MEL tasks with the Government Relation team to ensure its design and methodology are aligned.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Academic or professional experience in the field–based MEL or data collection, designing and implementing evaluations or research, and analyzing findings.
- Masters degrees in Public Policy, International Development, Statistics, Economics, or a related field of study preferred.
- Quantitative skills with experience with statistical software (Stata, R).
- Logical and structured thinking skills with a clear and compelling written communication style.
- Experience building staff capacity. Organizational, coordination skill-set. Leadership experience at work and an enthusiasm for learning and growth.
- Language: English required. Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, or French are also useful.
PREFERRED START DATE
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes; African country nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
We hire on a rolling basis which means that applications are reviewed and processed on a continuous basis until a hire is made.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.