About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are looking for a passionate staff who will be managing the operation support team and their work in one of the mentioned regions. This will be helping the organization in decision making and resolving the complex situation.
The Operations Support Manager oversees a team of regional Operations Support Officers as they perform a variety of administrative tasks. Operation Support Managers ensure that Operation Support Officer tasks are completed consistently on time and to a high standard. Operation Support Managers invest in the professional development of their Operation Support Officers so that they can grow impactful careers within TUBURA. All in all Operation Support Manager lead by example.
Operation Support Managers require strong organizational skills to manage a remote team performing multiple tasks on tight timelines. Operation Support Managers anticipate, identify and resolve problems on a daily basis and always work through their team by delegating responsibility whenever possible. Operation Support Managers are proactive, clear communicators, give excellent feedback, and possess a mastery of all Operation Support Officer tasks. An Operation Support Manager’ tasks include, but aren’t limited to:
Performance Management – Operation Support Managers support Operation Support Officers to perform all duties by clearly communicating instructions in regular weekly meetings, helping Operation Support Officers create weekly work plans, training Operation Support Officers on relevant tools, providing daily follow-up and feedback on all aspects of Operation Support Officer performance, and conducting weekly updates. In addition, they spend part of their time working with one of the districts to stay in touch with execution challenges and swiftly solve them.
Activities Operation Support Officers routinely perform, which an Operation Support Manager will manage, including but not limited to:
- Data Management – FOPs depends on timely, accurate, and organized data. Operation Support Managers ensure the quality of the main principal stream of data: Field Team Performance Indicators...
- Operation Support Managers ensure the quality of field KPIs and the quality of the KPI database. Operation Support Managers routinely check if KPIs are entered on time and accurately. Operation Support Managers ensure formulas are populating properly and all database formatting is correct. Operation Support Managers take responsibility for the quality of their region’s KPIs and coach Operation Support Officers so that they can fix problems on their own.
- Staff data: Operation Support Managers work with Operation Support Officers to make sure that the phone number database is updated. They should work with Operation Support Officers and this needs to be done routinely. r.
- Materials preparation – Field Operations sends a variety of materials every week from HQ to districts. These need to be printed, organized, and distributed quickly. The Operation Support Manager anticipates and proactively seeks materials and encourages Operation Support Officers to do the same.
- Operation Support Manager saves and store materials on their computer in an organized manner so that they can easily be found and re-printed if requested. Operation Support Managers should also store materials in a perfectly organized manner and routinely check Operation Support Officers are doing the same. Operation Support Manager is required to organize the printing work by Monday and make sure that every FD leaves the regional hub with a complete FO meeting package. In the district, the Operation Support Manager works with FD and other district staff to make sure that no material missing for the field activities that week.
- Operation Support Managers also manage materials that are needed on a seasonal basis. This includes the tracking and assembly of marketing buckets; storing group constitutions, employee contracts, and order forms in district offices in an organized and easily accessible manner. It also includes managing the inventory of staff tools, such as FO + FM workbooks, t-shirts, clipboards, and passbooks. Operation Support Managers work with Operation Support Officers to anticipate increases in staff numbers, e.g. during onboarding, check if sufficient materials are available, and initiate a procurement request if not. All of those materials are expected to be tracked in a central tracker. The Operation Support Manager is expected to hold Operation Support Officers to tracking both the inflows and outflows of ALL district materials.
- As Operation Support Manager works most of the time at the regional hub, (s)he works with the RL to make sure that the region has the necessary Operations Support to perform well. The above support includes but is not limited to cartridges and papers.
- Office Management – Operation Support Managers work through Operation Support Officers and himself to ensure all district offices function properly in order to promote a happy and productive district team.
- Operation Support Managers manage the inventory of the region's office supplies (printing paper, toner etc.). The Operation Support Manager helps Operation Support Officers to track supplies and initiate procurement requests using TUBURA Procurement portal (If applicable) or a tracker that regional Operation Support Director or the Operation Support Manager himself has created to fill in the needed items.
- Operation Support Managers work with Operation Support Officers to make sure that the districts are in good condition by having all needed to function such as electricity, bulb, etc and if not, reports all these to the concerned department to get it fixed.
Team Development: FOPs’ vision for Operation Support Managers and Operation Support Officers is for them to grow into a leadership position within FOPs and throughout the organization. The Operation Support Manager is responsible for ensuring the team is always improving and does so through creating opportunities for growth.
- Delegate Responsibility: Operation Support Managers ensure Operation Support Officers have the opportunity to undertake new and challenging tasks. Operation Support Managers should delegate to Operation Support Officers. Operation Support Manager manages and do the follow up to the assigned task and know the progress. S/He gives the needed support and make sure that the Operation Support Officers are hitting goals on time.
- Feedback: Operation Support Managers evaluate Operation Support Officers’ work and give clear, constructive and timely feedback. Operation Support Managers regularly communicate with their region’s RL and FDss to gather feedback on Operation Support Officer performance. That feedback is expected to be collected at regular intervals such as the regional FD meetings, etc.
- Personal growth of the staff: Operation Support Managers are expected to deliver professional development training to Operation Support Officers, either formal or ad hoc.
- Track Operation Support Officer performance over time in order to make development plans and deliver performance reviews. This is a part of every manager's responsibilities at One Acre Fund - TUBURA. Operation Support Managers are expected to make time for this all-important activity
- Build Culture: Operation Support Managers are expected to build a professional culture through modeling mutual respect, promoting teamwork, and maintaining solution-orientation. Operation Support Managers display TUBURA values at all times and show the team how their work furthers TUBURA’s goal of making more farmers more prosperous.
- General support to Senior Field Director and Regional Lead – Operation Support Managers facilitate the RL’s work and proactively provide administrative and technical assistance..
- Translation support – Operation Support Managers will be asked to translate materials periodically or when getting a visitor not speaking Kinyarwanda.
- Bridging the Field – Office divide by attending office FOPs meeting when possible: We encourage Operation Support Managers to be familiar with current field instructions and to brainstorm performance management solutions with FDs, Senior Field Directors, and Regional Leads. We would like to see Operation Support Managers move into Field Ops management roles eventually.
Operation Support Manager Work Expectations
- Aware of all Operation Support Officer work expectations as outlined in Operation Support Officer Roles and Responsibilities as well as routine weekly instructions coming from Field Notes/HQ.
- Maintain a comprehensive weekly work plan and update with Operation Support Director and Regional Lead on a weekly basis.
- Keep the computer in good working order – no personal media or other programs that can harm it. It is important to understand that the tools we are using to serve farmers are not ours. They are expected to regularly take them to the technology team for maintenance.
- Demonstrate workplace professionalism at all times.
- Work Reporting – Operation Support Managers are based at the regional hub.The Operation Support Manager is expected to submit their weekly check-in to the regional Operation Support Director and escalate different issues to the Regional Leads and/or HQ as needed.
- Field – one visit every other week, or at the discretion of the Regional Operation Support Director and Regional Lead. During material surge times, such as distribution, regional Ops Support Teams will convene centrally to prepare materials, often at regional hub
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking a candidate with an exceptional professional with 1 year of work experience managing people and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply :
- Strong work experiences.
- Strong email communication and other means
- Strong skill set on computer programs such as:
- Google Drive and its contents such as google sheet, google doc, etc
- Excel and Ms. Word
- Familial with the internet as this will be the daily based work
- Strong educational background is very important to this position
- Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback.
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Eager to learn new skills
- Language: English is strongly required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Rwanda.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.