Terms of Reference
Recruitment of an Individual Consultant:
SADA STRATEGY ADVISOR – SUSTAINABILITY AND JOB CREATION
- Position: SADA Strategy Advisor – Sustainability and Job Creation
- Duration: One year
- Location: Kigali, Rwanda/ Remote
- Deadline: 05th February 2022 at 05:00 PM Kigali time
1. About Smart Africa
Smart Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including the private sector, international non-government organisations, and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in ICT’s power for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead Africa to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformative power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services, and creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
Smart Africa aims to put ICT at the Center of the National socioeconomic development agenda of member countries, improve access to ICT, especially Broadband, improve accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT. It promotes the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication while putting the Private Sector first, and leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development.
2.Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA)
With a population estimated to approximately 1.3bn people who are majorly youthful, ensuring quality jobs to leverage on the continent’s demographic opportunity is set to be one of Africa’s game-changer. The Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) was established to swiftly respond to the need for a critical mass of skilled workforce to sustain the continent’s growing economies and digital transformation agenda. It is a pan-African dynamic learning ecosystem in which African citizens of all ages and social classes can gain or improve their digital skills, gain qualifications, meet the emerging talent needs of employers, industry or be self-reliant.
The Smart Africa Digital Academy supports Africa's transition into a digital economy through the development of a skilled workforce, facilitation of the labor market though skills matching, and developing an agile regulatory and policy workforce. Africa’s job creation and restructured labour market are increasingly influenced by the need for both generic and specialized ICT skills. The sustainable growth of the continent’s economy will therefore require digital skills innovation, entrepreneurial abilities, and an adaptable skilled workforce.
3. Position Description and Duties
The SADA Strategy Advisor – Sustainability and Job Creation will primarily ensure that there is continuous innovation in the SADA ecosystem, support the development of sustainability models to ensure lifelong learning, and develop the right mechanisms for job creation, employability, and entrepreneurship.
Her/His primary duties will include:
- Develop SADA’s financial sustainability plan for medium and long-term leveraging on best practices and incentives from the continent and beyond.
- Develop SADA’s life-long-learning mechanism, leveraging on best practices with a vision to ensure maximum impact for all participants of SADA.
- Develop SADA’s competency based digital skills strategy for sustained job creation and entrepreneurship to contribute to a structural economic growth focusing on the youth.
- Develop a mechanism to bring industry, academia, and content creators together to ensure the relevant content is made available to the learners.
- Provide expert advice on advancing the SADA National Digital Academies within the Smart Africa Member States.
- Provide expert advice and Support the development of the Smart Africa digital skills index.
- Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa.
4. Key qualification and experience requirements
- Minimum of Master's degree in ICT Business development strategy, Education Development, ICT Management, or related.
- A minimum of Eight (8) years leading and coordinating high-quality ICT skills development projects, defining innovation strategies, and securing required funds for effective implementation.
- At least Four (4) years of experience in advising governments, in policy and organizational consulting in the field of digital skills, as well as in stakeholder consultation methods.
- Solid experience in project and team management, previous experience in organizational development.
- Demonstrated experience on Business strategy, Leadership, negotiations, and digital skills ecosystem development.
- Experience in working with international development cooperation partners.
- Team player, high commitment, flexible and resilient.
- Excellent networking skills with actors from various institutions and political levels, diplomatic skills in dealing with clients and partners.
- High intercultural sensitivity in dealing with partner experts.
- Strong competence in the use of standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite).
- Fluency in English (oral and writen) is required. Fluency in French will be an asset.
- A good working knowledge of another language such as Portuguese or Arabic will be an added advantage.
7. Duration of the assignment
The appointment will be for one (1) year and may be renewed subject to availability of funds and relevance of the position.
8. Reporting requirements
The SADA Strategy Advisor – Sustainability and Job Creation will report to the Head of the Digital Infrastructure Division.
Kigali, Rwanda / Remote
10. Application Instructions
Interested candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: email@example.com not later than 05th February 2022 at 5:00 pm Kigali time:
- A detailed CV in either English or French.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to these terms of reference.
- Copies of academic degree certificates and relevant professional certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.