Seed Processing Technical Specialist
Function: Seed Partnerships
Employer: One Acre Fund
Position: Seed Processing Technical Specialist
Job Location: Nyagatare
Deadline: August 29th, 2018
Commitment: Full-time job with a minimum commitment of 2 years
We are looking for an exceptional Specialist to oversee operations of a maize seed processing plant.
Starting in mid-2018, the Rwandan government has announced that it will cease subsidizing imported hybrid maize seed, and will instead be investing heavily in domestic seed production. One Acre Fund is excited to support the domestic seed sector in Rwanda by procuring and operating a seed processing plant to ensure domestically-produced seed is processed efficiently and effectively. The One Acre Fund processing plant will process seed primarily from a joint venture seed production operation between One Acre Fund and API, the Rwandan government’s public seed production company. Seed from other domestic producers may also be processed at the plant. Timely, high-quality processing will be essential for providing hundreds of thousands of Rwandan farmers with maize seed.
The Seed Processing Technical Specialist will be responsible for operating and maintaining One Acre Fund’s newly purchased processing plant, which will process, treat, and package maize seed. In particular, responsibilities include:
- Oversee installation and commission of new crop drying and processing equipment - you will be fully trained in operating and maintaining these machines by the vendors.
- Performing plant maintenance. Ensuring equipment and facilities are well-maintained and performing, coordinating and overseeing timely repairs when needed. Liaising with equipment suppliers to procure parts and technical support where necessary.
- Uphold the highest standards of sanitation, cleanliness and goods inventory at the plant.
- In collaboration with the Seed Partnerships Lead, hiring, training and organizing payment of casual workers to conduct daily operations of the processing plant, with potential of hiring and managing full time employees as operations scale.
- Developing and enforcing procedures to maintain the highest standards of operations (processing, treating, and packaging) to ensure that products conform to government regulated quality standards.
- Plan plant workflow/capacity flow with consideration of harvest operations/delivery of seed to the plant under guidance from the Seed Partnerships Lead.
- Identifying, recommending and implementing changes to improve productivity and increase cost-efficiency of the processing plant.
- Assisting the Seed Partnerships Lead and OAF leadership to develop and implement policies, planning, plus short- and long-term strategy for the processing plant.
This role will have significant ownership from the start taking on the responsibility of newly purchased machinery and shortly after, processing up to 500 MT of hybrid maize seed, in a short time frame. You will report to the Seed Partnerships Lead and there is significant room for long-term growth. We expect the seed processing technical supervisor to build a strong foundation for our seed processing facility, followed by rapid expansion. The role will eventually lead to building a strong team of employees charged with processing thousands tones of hybrid maize for Rwandan farmers in the future.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are looking for extraordinary professionals who will help take One Acre Fund to the next levels of impact and scale. ** This is a competitive posting for a career–track role. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of managing high-performing machine operations with a strong willingness to become an expert in operation and maintenance of new machines they have not worked with before.
- Operations knowledge/education:
- Minimum diploma in engineering, industrial or mechanical disciplines, food processing/technology or a related field, BS or BA is also a plus - the candidate must be willing to be hands-on with the machines and fix them as and when required.
- 2+ years of working experience in machine maintenance and operation in processing or manufacturing industry is required.
- Professional/technical skills:
- Experience in conducting all supplier advised preventative maintenance and fix breakdowns in order to ensure continued and effective machine operation
- Full ability to operate machine start-up, running and shut down
- Willingness to be hands on with operation and maintaining seed processing equipment
- Very high attention to detail.
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Ability to effectively work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal communication
- Outstanding responsiveness to feedback: We firmly believe that ability to act on both reinforcing and redirecting feedback is the fastest way to grow. As a team, we give and expect to receive open and frank feedback, both to our reports and to our managers. Candidates should exhibit an ability to take feedback as a chance to improve, and know how to give feedback in a constructive manner.
- Humility: In everything One Acre Fund does, we put farmers first. We do this by approaching our work and individual growth with humility, efficiency, and compassion.
- Language: Fluency in both English and Kinyarwanda is required.
Please click on this link: https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=1270552
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
We are offering a world class professional and international environment that focuses on your career development and are looking forward to receiving your application.
Please Note: One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. If you are being approached by someone demanding money, please do not hesitate to report this to the Tubura Fraud Hotline: (+250) 786 908 557 (Do not use this number for any purpose other than reporting fraud attempts. If you misuse his number and use it for general information about the position and not to report Fraud, we will not consider you for this position).
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer; all candidates with legal working age will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, disability status or any other characteristic protected by the law.