Seed Production Associate
Function: Seed Partnerships
Employer: One Acre Fund
Position: Seed Production Associate
Job Location: Nyagatare , East , Rwanda
Deadline: October 30th, 2018
Commitment: Minimum commitment of 2 years
One Acre Fund is a social enterprise that exists to make farmers more productive and more prosperous. We provide farmers with a comprehensive service bundle which includes financing for agricultural inputs and other quality-of-life products, delivery within their cell, training, and market assistance. In more than twelve years in Rwanda, we have grown to serve over 300,000 farm families with more than 1,900 full-time field staff. We are Rwanda’s fastest growing professional organization.
We are looking for an experienced seed production farm manager/agronomist/breeder to be part of a new venture aimed at jump-starting the seed sector in Rwanda through building a domestic market nearly from scratch.
We need a motivated, technical expert to provide hands-on guidance to a new seed production partnership between the Rwandan government and One Acre Fund.
Rwanda will be reducing and eventually eliminating seed imports in the near future and is, therefore, investing heavily in domestic seed production. One Acre Fund is excited to be part of this initiative and is partnering with the Rwandan government to quickly scale up domestic production of hybrid maize varieties through launching a seed company. This joint venture has the potential to provide hybrid seed access to one million farmers and generate tens of millions of dollars of impact via increased harvest for Rwandan farm households.
The Seed Production Agronomist/Breeder will bring years of seed production experience to this venture ensuring its success. This venture will accelerate a current seed production farm from open-pollinated maize seed varieties to large-scale production of hybrid maize seed. As such, the Seed Production Expert’s responsibilities will include:
- Providing detailed agronomic advice to the farm team (around 30 employees, inc. farm manager, and an agronomist) at all stages of seed production including field preparation, planting rates/methods, best practices for timing male and female parent planting, crop care management, harvesting and all specific procedures to hybrid seed production.
- Make pre-planting decisions, guide field preparation, and provide clear plans ahead of key growth stages of the seed crop.
- Support the team with regular training in identification of key yield impacting time points and agronomic practices specific to hybrid seed production
- Give guidance in due time to ensure that seed production fields will pass certification on inspection
- Ensure that the highest quality crop is produced and the least post-harvest losses are incurred
- Enforce best-practices in handling and storage of seed across the site to prevent contamination by pests or disease, in addition to providing advice on seed treatment and packaging
- Working with the Seed Partnerships Lead you will also provide guidance on short and long-term seed production management and strategy; in addition to ensuring that daily implementation/management of the seed company is carried out to your recommendation.
This role will enable you to add your expertise to a brand new and rapidly expanding seed company/sector. As our technical expert, you will convert your experience in seed production systems and breeding into positive farmer impact in Rwanda. Do you want to be part of a new seed venture aimed at supplying hybrid seed for Rwanda?
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are looking for extraordinary professionals who will help take One Acre Fund to the next levels of impact and scale. ** This is a competitive posting for a career–track role. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of managing visible, high-performing seed production and/or breeding activities
- Seed sector knowledge:
- Advanced degree (minimum MSc) in agronomy, plant sciences, biology, plant breeding or a related field is required
- 5-10 years of working experience in the seed production/breeding sector is required
- Applicants without a relevant MSc will be considered but must have 15 + years of experience in crop seed production
- Experience with seed breeding is strongly preferred
- Professional/technical skills:
- Experience in field management of commercial hybrid maize seed production
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Ability to effectively work with and manage people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal communication
- Outstanding responsiveness to feedback: We firmly believe that the ability to act on both reinforcing and redirecting feedback is the fastest way to grow. As a team, we give and expect to receive open and frank feedback, both to our reports and to our managers. Candidates should exhibit an ability to take feedback as a chance to improve, and know how to give feedback in a constructive manner.
- Humility: In everything One Acre Fund does, we put farmers first. We do this by approaching our work and individual growth with humility, efficiency, and compassion.
- Language: English fluency required; Kinyarwanda or French is a strong bonus
Please click on this link: https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=1285207
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
We are offering a world class professional and international environment that focuses on your career development and are looking forward to receiving your application.
Please Note: One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. If you are being approached by someone demanding money, please do not hesitate to report this to the Tubura Fraud Hotline: (+250) 786 908 557 (Do not use this number for any purpose other than reporting fraud attempts. If you misuse his number and use it for general information about the position and not to report Fraud, we will not consider you for this position).
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer; all candidates with legal working age will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, disability status or any other characteristic protected by the law.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via emails and phone calls