About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
Our communications team shapes One Acre Fund’s global brand and local reputation across Sub-Saharan Africa. We currently serve more than 800,000 smallholder farmers in nine countries and aim to serve one million farmers by 2020. In Rwanda, we are known as TUBURA.
Our fourteen-person team tells stories that carry globally and resonate locally. We work to shape international policy, build a strong reputation in each country, and inspire dynamic African leaders to join our rapidly-growing organization. Currently, we work in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, and Malawi and have pilots in Ethiopia, Myanmar, and Zambia.
The Senior Communications Coordinator for Rwanda will be a key contributor to our communications work in Rwanda. S/he will spearhead outreach, identify compelling stories, and cultivate our reputation in Rwanda. S/he will also serve as a critical link between our work on the ground and our communications goals globally. The successful candidate will serve as the communications point in Rwanda.
The Senior Communications Coordinator should quickly learn the intimate details of TUBURA's Essential Services and Programs and our partnership with government in order to accurately communicate key details to external stakeholders - in particular, members of the press in Rwanda. This will involve time on the ground to understand the implementation of the program, as well as time with all team members, allowing them to find creative and strategic ways to communicate the work of the organization to journalists, editors, and producers of radio and television and other stakeholders. S/he should ideally understand the social media strategy, and be ready to write a pitch and reach the media in Kigali and local media in Rwanda.
Local outreach – Oversee strategic outreach to Rwanda’s media and influencers, in collaboration with government relations teams. Together, you’ll build strong relationships with the media in Rwanda and present us as a trusted government partner in agricultural development. You will pitch farmer stories to both local and national media and will invite media to provide coverage for 70% of all government relations events in Rwanda.
Local reputation – Work with country leadership teams to proactively identify potential reputation risks in the TUBURA program. You will proactively gather the information that may be damaging to our reputation and raise these with your manager as soon as they emerge. You will file a bi-weekly media report on Rwanda capturing trends across the Rwanda media landscape, informing organizational leadership on what’s happening in the agricultural and development sector in Rwanda.
Rwandan editorial – Source, produce and publicize stories that will raise TUBURA’s presence in Rwanda. You’ll use your strong storytelling instincts and local knowledge to help TUBURA tell stories of resilience and impact among our clients. You will file at least three high-quality farmer reports every month and take high-quality photos that tell the complex stories and narratives of our farmers. You will be a trusted voice on our Rwanda operations and will from time serve as a spokesperson for TUBURA especially with the local media in Rwanda. Every week, you will supply the Rwanda Government Relations team with high-quality images and farmer stories to be used as TUBURA Twitter content.
Field team membership – You will be an active and trusted member of the field team. You’ll actively participate in monthly content meetings for the field teams and you’ll contribute on viable story ideas for content development in Rwanda. You’ll also participate in monthly field team calls from where you’ll raise any interesting trends that you will have identified among our farmer clients during your field visits. You will be expected to offer support and mentorship to other communications officers in some of our countries to build their skills in photography, writing of farmer reports and building of their English language skills.
We are looking for outstanding professionals with 3 to 5 years of professional work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. The candidate will have leadership potential who is comfortable working independently. It is a career role where you will be exposed to high-level leadership for communication planning.
Candidates who meet the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Education: A solid undergraduate degree - Mass Communication, Journalism, Broadcast Media, Communications or a related field in a major Rwandan or international university.
- Professional experience: Candidates must have 3-5 years of professional experience in the field of communications and/or journalism. This experience should include:
- the design of communication strategies,
- the assembly of attractive communication materials and
- highly experienced in conducting interviews
- Ability to create rapport quickly with both external and internal publics
- Social Media Content Management: 2+ years of creating and/or managing social media content
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- A confident, eloquent /persuasive communicator who is comfortable talking about a variety of topics, with any audience.
- Other Skills:
- Well developed videography skills
- Well developed photography skills
- Expert in Microsoft Office (especially very strong skills in PowerPoint and Excel).
- Knowledge in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat would be an asset.
- Attitude: Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble service approach to join our growing family of leaders.
- Flexibility: You must be comfortable with ambiguity, quickly learn new skills and topics, and proactively deal with challenging situations
- Language: Proficiency in English and Kinyarwanda required; Knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Passion: Passionate and innovative by creating new ideas.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Rwanda. Rwandan residents Only.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.