RwandAir Limited is the flag carrier airline of Rwanda. It operates domestic and international services to East Africa, Central Africa, West Africa, Southern Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Europe from its main base at Kigali International Airport. RwandAir has a second hub in Cotonou, Benin that serves the Central and West African markets. Our mission is to provide unsurpassed, safe and reliable services in air transportation, including strategically linking Rwanda with the outside world, while ensuring a fair return on investment. As part of the expansion strategy we are looking for interested, qualified and competent candidates to fill the following position:
1. Job Title: Senior Legal Manager
2. Reports to: Chief Legal Officer & Company Secretary
3. General Description
Senior Legal Manager is responsible for providing strategic legal advice, ensure legal compliance of the company and manage contract and legal analysis provided by the legal services department. The Senior Legal Manager shall also be responsible for carrying out the functions of the aforementioned department to support the immediate and long term goals and vision of RwandAir Ltd.
4. Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide sound legal advice to the Company and make recommendations to executive management where necessary;
- Research and prepare legal opinions on various matters including claims against the Company;
- Draft, negotiate and vet contracts on behalf of the Company to protect its interests;
- Develop effective working relationships with key user departments to ensure their needs are understood and appropriate solutions developed that support business needs;
- Prepare proposals to lobby the Government and other aviation bodies on pending legislation to protect and /or improve RwandAir’s business environment;
- Advise on matters that should be directed to external counsel and liaise with and assist external Counsel in the discharge of its legal representation obligations to the Company;
- Assist in the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of Company policies as required;
- Ensure Company’s compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements to avoid legal penalties;
- Ensure disputes are resolved in a manner that safeguards the Company’s position and image in compliance with local and international laws and aviation regulations;
5. Desired Profile: Required Education, Experience and Abilities
- A Master’s Degree in Law with at least 2 years of relevant managerial legal experience in government, international organizations or a private law firms.
- Must have a clear understanding of the Company law of Rwanda.
- Proven track record of providing effective legal counsel to management.
- Ability to work without close supervision, i.e., must have initiatives, strong decision-making, problem solving and analytical thinking skills and abilities to exercise independent judgment.
- Must have the ability to exercise confidentiality (critical), understanding and sensitivity.
- Ability to handle multi-tasks and prioritize work in relation to needs and urgency and meet tight deadlines.
- Analytical, strong business processing.
- Strong presentation, communication and report writing skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and working knowledge of French is an added advantage.
5. How to apply:
- An application letter addressed to Ag. General Manager -Human Resources;
- Recent Curriculum Vitae with the 3 referees;
- Relevant certificates;
- A photocopy of Rwanda national identity card;
- 2 Recommendation Letters
The deadline for submitting application documents is August 24, 2018 at 4pm local time at the front desk of our head office located at Kigali International Airport, Main Airport building.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.