Job Title: Senior Manager, Strategy & Insights
Reporting Lines: Country Director
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Contract: 12 months Fixed Term Contract - renewable
Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand, and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalized and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of the role
The role of Snr. Manager, Strategy & Insights responds to a critical business need for Girl Effect Rwanda to better understand, prove, implement, and replicate globally its branded media approach to behavioral change. This requires a candidate with a deep understanding of social behavior change (SBC) communication, and a passion for pioneering this thinking in the new and innovative discipline of branded media for social change. The candidate will be expected to oversee a diverse and senior team from a range of technical disciplines including research, gender, and brand strategy, and bring together this range of technical inputs to set cohesive and deeply grounded strategic brand direction. This role will be accountable for the delivery and uptake of high profile strategic decision making which will steer brand activities at a local level, and feed into developing best practice and thinking at a global and sector-wide level.
What You’ll Do
- You will have overall accountability for ensuring Ni Nyampinga brand strategy and activities are built from and respond to robust insights into adolescent girls’ needs in order to deliver maximum value and prove the impact of our work for girls.
- You will work through Qualitative and Quantitative evidence leads to commission (internally and externally) and co-ordinate large and small scale research into a range of brand, content, cultural and thematic issues to understand the challenges and opportunities facing girls and shape Ni Nyampinga brand strategy. You will be accountable for ensuring this learning and insight feeds decision making and leads to a strong proof of impact narrative.
- You will have overall accountability for Girl Effect Rwanda to deliver and prove its impact against the objectives and role in the portfolio set by Country Director (Rwanda), Director, Brand Strategy (Global) Director, Evidence (Global).
- You will oversee the relationship and communications between Girl Effect Rwanda, Girl Effect Global in relation to brand strategy, evidence and gender, and best in class practices.
- You will be accountable for ensuring Girl Effect Rwanda shares strategic learnings with Global and vice versa.
- You will be accountable for the capacity building and professional development of the Evidence team with support from Director, Evidence (Global) and Director, Gender (Global).
- You will represent Girl Effects’ approach to behavioral change to outside organizations and partners and support in the development of in-kind and for-profit partnerships.
- You will support the Country Director (Rwanda) and Deputy Country Director (Rwanda) on the creation, communication, and delivery of partnership and for-profit research programmes and products.
- Be an active member of the Rwanda Leadership Team, contributing to the effective running of the organization and collective decision making.
Who You Are
- You have a minimum Postgraduate Degree or equivalent in research, psychology, cultural anthropology, or social sciences.
- You have a minimum of 7 years' experience in designing and overseeing the development and actionable research.
- You have demonstrable experience in the capacity building of junior researchers.
- You have demonstrable experience in gender, participatory research, and measurement and evaluation.
- You have in-depth knowledge and familiarity with the Rwandan context.
- You have experience managing a large and diverse team and delivering to external and internal stakeholders including external research agencies.
- You have excellent communication, organizational, relationship management skills, and attention to detail.
- You are a collaborative team player with the ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills, and backgrounds.
- You are positive, energetic, resourceful, solution-seeker, adaptable - able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments;
- You are self-starter - confident and proactive in generating and leading new initiatives with excellent critical analysis and thinking skills;
- You are committed to realizing the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organizational values at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage candidates to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found at https://www.girleffect.org/safeguarding/. We have zero-tolerance to all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries, and staff.
To apply please send a detailed Cover Letter and updated Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be submitted no later than Saturday 26th July 2020.