Job Title : SHEAR Field Operator
Reporting to : Regional Office Manager
Location : Kabarondo, Kayonza District, Eastern Province, Rwanda
Project name : Sustainable Household Energy Adoption in Rwanda (SHEAR)
About MeshPower Rwanda
MeshPower’s innovative solar minigrid technology platform delivers clean, affordable and reliable electricity to rural off-grid communities using smart metering and management systems. We are committed to delivering social and environmental impact to the communities we serve: reducing combustion-related illnesses, improving quality of life, saving our customers money on energy, and providing “productive use” power for small businesses in the village. MeshPower currently provides reliable and affordable electricity services to over 1,500 families in the Eastern Province, and we’re planning to grow that impact significantly by adding PAYG LPG services to our portfolio under the SHEAR project. www.meshpower.co.rw
The SHEAR Project is a three-year project, in partnership with Colorado State University, to deliver full clean-energy interventions in rural households. This includes LPG gas for cooking and Solar Energy for lighting and power. Health indicators of women, men and children will be measured every 6 months for participants in Kayonza District. The participants ability and willingness to pay for the services will also be tested with various subsidy schemes.
As the Field Operator, you will execute all field operations required to help to smoothly deliver the SHEAR project. This includes LPG equipment installations and set up in participants’ households, LPG cylinders delivery and replacement at participants’ households, administering regular surveys with SHEAR participants using electronic mobile devices and executing technical system operations and maintenance.You will have support and direction from the Kayonza regional office manager, and be expected to communicate regularly. You will be a frontline SHEAR study staff with focused attention to study participants' inquiries, quick intervention to solve on the ground problems, accountability and results.
- Delivery of LPG equipment to and from SHEAR participant households across Kayonza district using a motorcycle and/or a cargo tricycle.
- Install LPG cooking equipment participants’ homes
- Testing safety and functionality of installations before handing it over to participants
- Carefully explain to participants how to safely use their LPG system and let them test it themselves under your guidance.
- Collect survey data using electronic data capture on tablets in REDCap Mobile Application
- Work with both women, men, and children to conduct health data measurements including blood pressure and lung function
- Set up and take down scientific household air pollution instruments and cook stove temperature monitors
- Frequently work off hours such as early mornings, late evenings, weekends (not typically more than 40 hours in a week)
- Interact and communicate with people daily either on phone or in person
- Have great communication skills
- Valid driver’s licence for motorcycle
- Ability to read maps and understanding of GPS points
- Clear police record
- Be willing and able to travel to communities in rural Kayonza on a daily basis
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English
- Have experience working in rural communities
- Experience doing scientific research, working in the health sector or as a technician
- Have a University / Technical College education or above
- Have experience using computer, tablet, and/or smartphone
- Have experience doing electronic survey data collection (using tablets is a plus)
- Basic understanding and enthusiasm for Clean Energy, including: Solar Energy, Clean Cooking and Information Technology
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude
How to Apply
Interested and eligible applicants should follow both steps to be considered:
- Click this link to fill out the application form
- Send an email to email@example.com before 21st May 2021 with the following PDF documents attached:
- One-page introduction letter explaining your motivation, suitability for the position and how you can add value to our team
- Curriculum Vitae with 2 references
- Education Certificate and additional relevant certificates, if any
- Copy of ID and valid driver’s licence
*NOTE: Email subject and all documents must have your full name and job title for which you are applying.
EXAMPLE: UWAMAHORO Francoise - SHEAR Field Operator
MeshPower is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.