Solar PV and Storage Technical Lead
Technical Lead · Kigali, Rwanda or Kampala, Uganda, or Nairobi, Kenya
Company Profile: Sawa Energy is a solar energy and energy efficiency company servicing SMEs across East Africa, with operations in Rwanda and Uganda. They bring together international capital, and local solar expertise in order to enable SMEs to get access to solar and energy efficiency solutions with no upfront cost. In doing so, Sawa Energy aims to have a big social impact, reduce carbon emissions, create jobs, increase energy access, and save money for businesses in emerging markets. Sawa Energy’s objective is to deploy a portfolio of 20 MW of solar C&I projects across East Africa within the next 4 years, and have been actively deploying since February 2021. Their clients include I&M Bank, MTN and other leading regional businesses.
Learn more at www.sawaenergy.com
The company is recruiting an ambitious and energetic senior level professional to lead the technical needs of the company, and will participate in Sawa Energy’s vision to lead the revolution of solar for SMEs in East Africa. Given that Sawa Energy is taking solar into a new realm with a new set of tools, the role will require creativity, innovation and a new way of thinking.
- Lead technical knowledge in Solar, battery and electrical installations
- Manage EPC relationships, reach contact signature on EPC deals, and manage EPC budget
- Supervise EPC for the construction of rooftop or ground-mounted solar plants of up to 2 MW
- Supervise all logistics aspects including shipment of solar equipment from China to East Africa
- Support Financial analysis with cost estimates, consumption pattern and availability estimates
- Responsible for assessment of feasibility of technical solution and implementation of solutions
- Manage the O&M plan and supervision of O&M of solar assets
- Lead the team to identify and fix technical problems
- Analyze costs structure and implement innovative cost reduction measures
Hours: Full time
- 8+ years of experience as a solar engineer with a proven track record of leading the construction of solar PV and battery installations, preferably in the C&I rooftop space (50-500 kW)
- Strong technical background that covers electricity, solar, battery, structural analysis
- Systematic and highly organized project manager with budget estimation skills; Must take personal accountability for tracking numerous activities across workstreams and driving them all to a successful conclusion. Must display a track record of thriving in a fast-paced sales environment, able to work towards and hit KPIs. Being a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit is paramount.
- The role may include travel to meet clients, which you must be comfortable with.
- Must be very comfortable working in the digital realm, using tools such as Google Drive (Docs, Slides, Sheets), CRMs and other remote working tools.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; builds strong relationships even in stressful environments
- Excellent written and spoken English is required, Kinyarwanda, French and Swahili are a plus.
- Driver license
Other Critical Requirements:
A technical lead needs to have strong technical abilities, such as the ability to operate a solar resource estimation software, understanding challenges associated with electrical installations, and navigating through structural analysis issues. By establishing these skills, you can become better at troubleshooting and fixing technical problems.
You should also have impressive leadership skills to motivate and guide your team members. As a technical lead, it is your job to ensure everyone remains productive and gets projects done on time.
Much of your job as a technical lead is offering support and guidance to your team, so it's important to be able to give clear instructions and set expectations. With effective written and verbal communication, you can ensure that your team understands their responsibilities.
Employers want a technical lead who can manage many projects at once while still meeting deadlines and presenting innovative products. We are looking for someone with strong multitasking, decision-making, and organizational abilities to ensure the workload is managed effectively.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply through this application form. Applications will close at 11:59 pm on the 09th December 2022. Only selected candidates for the interview will be contacted.