SPAWN LABORATORY MANAGER
Kigali Farms works to help fight chronic malnutrition by providing the foundation of a sound mushroom industry, allowing mushrooms to become a meaningful part of the East African diet.
We think of mushrooms as the forgotten, high-impact crop. Mushrooms require minimal land, and the Rwandan climate is ideal for growing them. Mushrooms need meticulous care, and Rwanda’s women have proven adept at cultivating them. Most importantly, their nutritional value makes them a perfect fit for the traditional Rwandan diet. With these very qualities, mushrooms can equip Rwandans with a crop that is easily grown and consumed.
Today, however, they are produced inefficiently and with high costs. Kigali Farms strives to improve mushroom productivity and bring mushrooms within reach of most East African household budgets. We hope to make mushrooms in the EAC as plentiful as tomatoes, carrots, or bananas.
We envision mushrooms as the most cost-effective source of protein for anyone in East Africa, one that will provide many with new income opportunities and a healthier diet, hence tackling food insecurity and malnutrition.
The Kigali Farms Spirit
At Kigali Farms we value team spirit above all else. We expect you to be creative and effective and have fun in the process, bring your best ideas to the team, support your teammates and ask for support when you need it. You will be working very hard! We want you to be highly motivated by our mission of fighting malnutrition and understand how everyone at Kigali Farms contributes to this mission by making us a stronger team. We want you to share in the vision that mushrooms can and will make a difference, because together we are laying the foundation of a new industry in our region, an industry which will eventually provide income and nutrition to hundreds or thousands.
We want you to join Kigali Farms, because you want to make a difference and want to share that experience with like-minded people.
The Position & Key Responsibilities: Spawn Laboratory Manager
As part of the production team, the Spawn Laboratory Manager will take part in the success of a quality mushroom spawn production. This will involve working as a team and most importantly working hand in hand with the Tubes Production team from Byumba and the Agaricus growing team in Musanze to meet their needs.
- Work closely with team members to implement the best production procedures.
- Complete weekly and monthly reports for internal use, timely.
- Identify realistic challenges; prepare and take part in coming up with realistic solutions.
- Plan and carry out necessary research, tests, and experiment where required.
- Follow up carried out tests and other lab activities and report timely.
- Proven team player with unquestionable integrity
- Problem solver and results oriented
- Intelligent and hard working
- Team management experience
- Excellent in Excel and Ability to analyze data and make data-driven decisions
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field (e.g.: Biotechnology, Microbiology) or better
- Knowledge of tissue culture and working in aseptic conditions
- Working knowledge of industrial autoclave
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in relevant fields
- Experience in mushrooms/mushroom spawn is highly preferred
- Fluent Kinyarwanda + English mandatory and knowledge of French
- Position is based in Musanze
Kigali Farms offers excellent career development opportunities for professionals looking to broaden their skill sets and gain hands-on experience. Successful applicants will have an opportunity to take part in the rapid expansion of a company and help tackle larger social and economic issues. Their actions will have a direct impact on the company’s success, and their opinions and input will be valued.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with only Spawn Laboratory Manager Position in the subject line. Be creative. Use your cover letter to show us who you are and why you are excited by this job.
We are looking for you to start ASAP! Please note that only successful applicants will be contacted.
The deadline:28th July 2021