ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund has several applications implemented in a SQL server merge replicated architecture using web synchronization to a hosted server. There are nearly 100 locations in 8 different countries, which communicate with our main production server through merge replication. In addition, we are using transactional replication to other hosted servers for various database loads.
As the number of locations and countries grows over time, we are seeking an exceptional professional to serve as SQL Server Developer/Administrator who can build and improve on our current database architecture, as well as plan ahead for future scaling. In addition, the SQL Server Administrator will assist with training when One Acre Fund expands to new countries.
The SQL Server Administrator will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Database backups and security
- Create and maintain security policies for developers connecting to SQL server.
- Monitor and test automated backups, ensure offsite storage, and perform consistency checks.
- Evaluate server performance and make recommendations for improvements to the server administrator
- Maintain and test disaster recovery and emergency failover procedures.
- Database architecture ownership and performance tuning
- Make recommendations on the database schema to meet business objectives
- Make recommendations on database structure to conserve space and ensure sustainable storage requirements
- Monitor indexes and query execution plans and suggest improvements
- Implement archiving strategies
- Communicate with our developers and field operations team
- Act as gatekeeper for direct data manipulation/cleaning requests.
- Create scripts for setting up a test environment with production data for developers.
- Create and maintain a training environment tailored to different country program needs.
- Assist with database architecture changes and staging data migrations.
- Maintain and improve field location database maintenance scripts.
- Monitor field location database performance.
- Monitor replication performance.
- Assist local IT staff with troubleshooting in case of connectivity problems with the database.
- Our IT needs to keep growing and the SQL Server Administrator may be asked to help out in other areas occasionally.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 5 years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Excellent communication skills. The person in this position will have to communicate with team members remotely on a regular basis.
- Strong previous experience in database administration
- Experience with database optimization strategies, query plan analysis and resource profiling
- Experience with replication a plus
- Expert T-SQL skills, strong scripting skills, and the ability to create clear documentation.
- Previous experience with server/network administration a plus.
- English required; French a plus.
- Tremendous attention to detail
PREFERRED START DATE
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes. East African candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: Please submit a Resume/CV, not exceeding more than 1-2 pages, which includes, Education, Work Experience, Specialized/Technical Skills, Achievements/Awards and any other Experience (Volunteering, Extracurriculars, etc). References do not need to be included, and will only be required upon request, after the final interview
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.